Anyone else never...

Hm. I have a Fender and a Squier and a Jackson (which is owned by Fender now). I guess that's the trifecta. I'd like a Les Paul someday but more likely another MIJ Ibanez Artist would be more likely.

I've owned a number of Fenders and currently own one. I also own a Gibson LP Studio. I've had other Gibsons in the past as well.

I've owned quite a few Fenders. I'm a fan. Gibson, I've owned a 90's LP Special and a '65 ES335 TD12, and currently have an Epi LPC. Not a ton of love there. I wouldn't rule out eventually owning a nice LP Custom or something, but it's not a priority for me. Hamer and Guild are both more attractive brands to me, for those style of guitars.

I've owned a 1977 LP standard since 1978. I'd never sell it. I will at some point buy a custom shop LP, but I'll keep the old one.
I've played many strats, but the only one I'd buy belongs to a buddy who ain't selling it (even though he hates it).

I've played many guitars, but there's just nothing like a Gibson LP with a bound neck.

1 Fender HM Strat...modded
2 Am Std Strats from the early '90s, still own and love the gun metal blue maple boarded one.
1 '69 Thinline Reissue (MIJ) modded still own this one as well

So I've owned four Fenders and still have a pair.

Love Leo's designs as a player.

As a listener I'm indifferent to brands.

I'm a cheap bastard now so no.

Back when, I did bond with a Les Paul Studio in 94 but I didn't t buy it for some odd reason.

I've probably owned more partscasters than anything else... Followed by Charvel/Jacksons, probably a tie between PRS and real Fender (5 each), a couple of ESPs, but everything else from Gibson, Hamer, Kramer, and a bunch of others has been one of each.

Son has been playing for 8 years now. Last year, in 2014 there was a LP that he couldn't not buy.

No Fenders but, Fender custom shop pickups in two guitars.

I own a Gibson SG special for almost 17 years, which is almost the entire time I've been playing. Didn't know too much when I bought it, but a friend of mine had a similar one and he told me that Gibson is good and the guitar was on sale. I'm happy I got it, and will probably never sell it.

My wife got me a Fender American Deluxe Strat a few years ago, because she heard me whining about wanting a Strat. Overall it's a nice guitar, feels great, and has a lot of tonal possibilities. It's one of the few guitars I have that I don't feel the need to modify.

Granted, after reading some of the comments I think I lucked out.

I owned a Gibson Sonex 180 for 2 weeks...
..and I thought I was the only one. My first electric was a brand new Sonex 180 custom that I saved up for weeks to buy. I still have it, but don't play it very often. Just can't bring myself to part with it.

I also have a MIM Tele. So I guess I have one of each, Gibson & Fender, but neither were expensive or considered high end.

I've owned a Squier bullet and a MIM plus top strat that I should never have sold. But alas, I did. I think I played it all of an hour. I was in a different place then. I had a Squier Tele too. Forgot that one. Sold the bullet and tele to my nephew who now watches the collect dust.
I'm so fickle about the style of music I'm into at any given time it's hard to choose an all around guitar and I can't afford more than one acoustic and one electric.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

..and I thought I was the only one. My first electric was a brand new Sonex 180 custom that I saved up for weeks to buy. I still have it, but don't play it very often. Just can't bring myself to part with it.
Mine was stolen 2 weeks after I got it...:(

I've owned lots of both at this point.

But early on, not so much. Most of the '80's my main guitar was an Ovation Breadwinner, of all things. I also had a Ric 430 for awhle, which I wish I still had. Somewhere around '89 I got my first FMIC, a MIJ Squier P-bass I still have, bought from a friend. At about the same time I got a MIK Squier "Strat II" (never sure what the "II" thing was about). One or the other was the first FMIC product. Iirc my first actual Fender was my MIM Telecaster Special, which is a great guitar I still own, c. '96 or '97.

Because of the price differential, it took me awhile to get around to Gibsons. The first one I got was around 2000 or so, a closeout P-100 LP Special new for $500. Have owned another couple LP Specials since, and a Melody Maker, an SG, and a LP Classic, all of which (except for the MM) I've held onto.

I am surprised with the way that this thread is turning out.

Fender and Gibson are both damn fine instruments despite the online stuff that I have read. I've owned 16 Gibsons (currently 6) and a bunch of Fenders (currently just one parts mutt) and have never encountered any of the quality issues in the two brands that I read about aside from one tiny finish flaw on my first Gibson that was on the lower back edge of the guitar.

Part of this is a Euro thing, right? I'm not sure I'd pay import prices for big name American guitars, but I've had my MIA Tele for 15 years and will never get rid of it.

Part of this is a Euro thing, right? I'm not sure I'd pay import prices for big name American guitars, but I've had my MIA Tele for 15 years and will never get rid of it.

American gear is generally ridiculously expensive over here (often almost double the price if you factor in exchange rates and such).
Say a good PRS or Gibson often costs between 2 and 3k over here. That's just slightly cheaper than a kickass custom built guitar.

As for the topic....I love Fender type guitars, in particular Teles, and have one Gibson which has been fucking hell modding to get it to actually stay in bloody tune.
About the replace the bridge on it, if that doesn't help I'll fucking sell it. Sounds great, but it's an unreliable POS guitar.
Never again buying another Gibby. Meanwhile my MIM Tele at under half the price both plays well and stays in tune.

Oh well, I'll stop my Gibson rant there before I get really pissed off. :embarrassed:

Back