Anyone else never...

Gorgon90

Harmonic Dive Bomber
owned a Fender or Gibson electric guitar?

I've tried plenty of both but never been convinced enough to part with my money, and have gone for various other makes. Anyone else never owned one of the "classic" electric brands?

Edit: Specified electric guitars in the question. Acoustics are a different beast.

Last edited:
I've never owned either.

I almost bought a LP one time, but just couldn't justify the price tag. Of course, I tried 6 of them before I found one that I thought was even worth NEAR what they were asking for it, but that was still almost 1.5 times as much as a comparable PRS (of which, every single one I picked up was very, very good to excellent, right off the wall.)

I've always wanted a good Fender strat, but when I honestly ask myself "Why?", it boils down to the name on the headstock vs the appointments/quality of the guitar itself.

For me at least, I think there are much better values out there.
Just me, though.

I owned a Gibson Sonex 180 for 2 weeks...and many Epiphones...

I currently possess a Fender Stratocaster...

So I'm out...

I have an old Strat and a beater Tele...love em both.

I owned a Les Paul for about two months, 15 years ago. That was enough Gibson for a lifetime.

Well, if a Squier counts as a Fender, I have. Otherwise, I haven't.

I have only owned maybe 5 electric guitars in my life. The first was a Kay Barney Kessell. The other was a cheap no name. I briefly owned a Squier butterscotch Tele, and I now have two Luna electrics.

I have owned a ton of Fenders. I currently have 3 Fender bodies, but the necks are Warmoth. I owned 1 Gibson for maybe 2 weeks. It made it through 2 songs of a live set then I put it down, picked up my Strat and traded the LP in the next day. Here is one of the 2 songs I played it on. I would like to get an SG with P-90s someday.

1.JPG

Well, I have aGibson owned Epiphone LP that I've had for about 10 years, and it has a truss rood issue that wouldn't allow me to sell it. Once I found my Peavy USA Limited HB, I haven't picked up the Epi again. That's as close as I've ever been to a Gibson.

Strat's, however, are a completely different animal to me. I started out thinking I would never have one, because I didn't like the neck. I bought a used one in Midnight Blue (mostly on asthetics, but I didn't hate the neck) from one of the sales guys at my local music store, and from that point on I have just bonded with Strats.

So, I'm out.

I own exmples of both. I worked for a Fender dealer for 8 years and never bought a guitar the entire time I could have had one for dealer cost, which says something. And the ones I own now are Squiers and a MIM bass.

I own one of each. They are the only guitars I never sold (sold Rics, Danos, PRS, Chandler, ...). Both are from the '70's, so they were a steal 15-20 years ago. $600 for my '72 Goldtop, $750 for the '79 Strat.

I’ve only had one Fender guitar. I just don’t like the 25.5" scale or Leo’s bridges. I do have two Squier P-Basses, but only because they’re cheap and easy to score used. And I currently own three Gibson SGs.

I owned a Gibson L6-S as my first "good" electric guitar.
It's been some variant on the strat design ever since though. Actual Fenders (MIM, MIJ) but no MIA (yet).

Never saw the need with so many clones to choose from. I couldn't bear to spend that much on a guitar that I was still going to have to change in order to get what I wanted from it.

Never owned a fender as I just don't think they're worth the money. I have a parts strat with a squier neck and that's probably the closest I'll get. I've had an epiphone and currently own a gibson SG which I love. I don't think I'd pay full whack for a gibson LP though. I have a MIJ Pearl (same factory as the good tokais) which is amazing and probably the best guitar I've played, it cost me £250. I'd get another Japanese copy for sure.

I have owned a lot of Fenders over the years, none now.

I have only owned 1 Gibson ever, a late 90s Les Paul Special. It lasted maybe two months.

The only Gibson "electric" I ever owned was a late '40s/early '50s ES-125...baseball bat neck (which was sweet), no cutaway, and a dogear in the neck position. It was mine for less than a year and I only plugged it in once or twice. I played it acoustically quite a bit,

I did own a Gibson Gospel acoustic that was really good, but it was sold in one of the those (fortunately) rare moments where we really needed the money.

At this point I'd rather not give money to Gibson. While I prefer Fender-style electrics, I'd rather give my money to Godin, G&L, and Music Man...unfortunately the latter's necks are generally too narrow for my comfort. Godin makes some great Gibson inspired stuff too, so they'd cover a lot of ground for me.

I have owned a ton of Fenders. I currently have 3 Fender bodies, but the necks are Warmoth. I owned 1 Gibson for maybe 2 weeks. It made it through 2 songs of a live set then I put it down, picked up my Strat and traded the LP in the next day. Here is one of the 2 songs I played it on. I would like to get an SG with P-90s someday.

View attachment 25491

That's actually a Tele...and I didn't know you were black. Nice rise.

:thu:

I own both. Took me over 28 years to find an Gibson LP that I liked and could purchase. The other two that I liked were owned by friends and they would not sell. Now I own 3 LP's, 1 SG and a HR Fusion and love the way they play and sound. As for Fenders, I own 4 strats that are all MIJ's. Great guitars as well.

Four of my Gibby's and all 4 - Fender's were bought used.

Back