Anyone catch/watch any of the Dead & Co. videos w/ John Mayer?

Dogsinplastic

avuncular to no one
I meant to watch the free show and had searched out the show or clips a few times, but today is the first time I've actually taken the time to listen to them.

Obviously the Dead aren't everyone's cup of tea, so those that don't like them aren't going to be suddenly won over by John's involvement. That said, he's sounds quite good. I'm not a fan of his music or his voice, but I've always know he was a very good player (albeit not a particularly unique one). He's not now overflowing with originality, but he clearly put a lot of effort into to really learning the tunes and listening to Jerry's playing. It's like a more blues tempered Garcia and he's totally copping Jerry's tone.

I can't speak to everything he could or couldn't do before, but it seems like he might of done the type of woodshedding comparable to Dweezil's when he committed to Zappa Plays Zappa. Based on what I heard from and seen in live clips where John was supposedly freer to play more, this is another level. His voice even works better within the mix of the Dead than as the main vocal instrument in his own tunes.

There are four 10 minute clips here...and they're actually four different tunes!

https://www.amexunstaged.com/artists/dead-and-company/

saw them in Columbus. really good show.

I don't really like mayer but he did a great job.

saw them in Columbus. really good show.

I don't really like mayer but he did a great job.

Yeah, they just announced a summer tour and I'm kinda interested now. Oddly, I prefer him to Trey. I think Trey's the better musician, but that doesn't actually make him more listenable/enjoyable.

Franklin's Tower is one of my all-time favorite songs. I thought it was well done, but Jerry never made guitar faces like that. :hippie:

I only saw the Chicago fare thee well shows in a movie theatre but it seemed like trey brought more energy.

granted Columbus may have been an off night compared to other shows on the dead and co tour. the songs were good and music was great but I just felt like Chicago seemed like it had some really good energy.

Franklin's Tower is one of my all-time favorite songs. I thought it was well done, but Jerry never made guitar faces like that. :hippie:

That's because Jerry could never really understand the blues like a kid from Bridgeport Connecticut, but it does sort of all come full circle anyway. That's where the Frisbee comes from. Think about that, man.

I only saw the Chicago fare thee well shows in a movie theatre but it seemed like trey brought more energy.

granted Columbus may have been an off night compared to other shows on the dead and co tour. the songs were good and music was great but I just felt like Chicago seemed like it had some really good energy.

Phil's presence likely added something. Also, I think John has become a great fan of the Dead, but Trey has a bit more reverence for them...maybe. Doesn't make it better or worse, just would definitely impart and exude a different vibe...especially Phil being there.

One of my good friends was on the sound crew, so I saw one of their shows in Denver. ( Audio only)

According to my buddy, Mayer came into rehearsals and early shows kind of disappointed in the lack of diligence of the Dead rhythm section...he kind of pushed Weir to step it up.

Also, Oteil was OUTSTANDING!!!

One of my good friends was on the sound crew, so I saw one of their shows in Denver. ( Audio only)

According to my buddy, Mayer came into rehearsals and early shows kind of disappointed in the lack of diligence of the Dead rhythm section...he kind of pushed Weir to step it up.

Also, Oteil was OUTSTANDING!!!

Yeah, Oteil is a monster musician. The Burbridges are kind of like the Wootens...a family of stellar musicians. I loved Kofi the second he picked up the flute when I saw the Derek Trucks Band in 2001. Oteil I've enjoyed in the Aquarium Rescue Unit and the DT/Tedeschi Trucks bands too. The Dead & Co. are a great fit for him.

I'm not a big John Mayer fan, but after watching him this I like him a bit more. He lays back and plays and doesn't step on anyone.

Back