Anybody using 11s

a·cous·tic gui·tar
noun
  1. a guitar that does not require electrical amplification, having a hollow body that amplifies the vibrations of the strings.

Soundboard is made of wood.

There were two layers of fiberglass cloth that had a perscribed amount of resign poured on it in a heated press

And it was called lyrachord

And in 1974 there was the coming of the applause. And its bowl was made in a compression heated mould from a mixture of polyester resign and chopped glass fibres

And it was called SMC

but the New hartford Ovations stayed with the cloth

In 1982 there was an experiment of making guitars in North Carolina and all the bowls were made there from the SMC

And in 1985 the experiment ended and all the bowls went to Astabula Ohio. Reifnements were made in the material

And it was called HMC

And that's where it is today

Now as a further note the cloth bowls were about 35%glass when all was said and done. The SMC(sheet molding compound)is a layer of resign that looks like taffy and had 1" chopped fibers inbedded in it. Those bowls are also about 35% glass. The HMC is made with fibers 1.5" long and are also the same percentage. We found that the longer fibers sounded better, more like the cloth bowls that were a PITA to make. Material costs werren't a real factor but mfg and scrap rates were. HMC was better on both.
There was a phase over from cloth the SMC/HMC. The Adamas 2 were all SMC from the beginning. the Adamas 1 was the last to switch from cloth.

All things being equal the cloth probably sounds better. But things are never equal are they? The finish, top thickness, grain, brace patterns, neck material, how it's joined to the bowl, type of rosette, bridge material all affect the sound.
So Sam I've heard cloth bowls that were last in the bow-wow 500 and HMCs that were in the top 10.

There you have it.

a·cous·tic
əˈko͞ostik/
adjective
  1. 1.
    relating to sound or the sense of hearing.
    "dogs have a much greater acoustic range than humans"
noun
  1. 1.
    the properties or qualities of a room or building that determine how sound is transmitted in it.
    "Symphony Hall has perfect acoustics"
All guitars can be played without amplification. :embarrassed:

I always played medium gauge on my acoustics, sure that they sounded better and that lighter gauges were for folks who didn't want to put out the effort to play an acoustic properly. Turns out you really can't hear that much difference.
Here's quick video on the subject. Judge for yourself.

I have one electric with .11's for alternate tunings. My Strat/strat style guitars have .09's and my Gibsons have .10.
My Taylor has .13....they are heavy but the guitar plays like buttah......

I've used 11-52's and 12-53's... I like them both for different reasons. They make 12-56's... if they made 11-54's I'd be on them like white on rice.

Back