Anybody using 11s

iamjethro

a good kind of terrible
I recently aqquired a set of 11s that I may decide to try on my Ovation. Anyone using that thin a set on their acoustics?

I was thinking it would be good for the lead lines, but now am second guessing the ability to sound good with strumming or finger picking.

I actually use 11's on all of my acoustics. I used to use 12's but on the guitars I own the 11s just sound better.

I have them on this:

1780814_3899382658516_1399487769_n.jpg

Supposedly it'll be okay with .12s but I stick to what it came with.

Clips:

https://kickingupcinders.bandcamp.com/ (Strumming on track #1, lead on the others.)

My Taylor 710ce came with 11's and I have stuck with that. I have 2 other 6-string acoustics that are strung with 12's. I have considered changing them out to 11's, as well, but I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

My Taylor 710ce came with 11's and I have stuck with that. I have 2 other 6-string acoustics that are strung with 12's. I have considered changing them out to 11's, as well, but I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

My Taylor 516 CE came with .13!!!
They are really hard to solo with but they really make the guitar sound huge...and loud.

I used 12s for many years. I had some problems with my Taylor playing tough a few years ago. I strung it with 11s and that's helped solve the problem. I should play that guitar more.

Irony is I use 10-50 on my acoustics, just bought a set of 11's to give it a try. Now get this, half of my electrics are 11's. As for 10's on my acoustic, it has a lot to do with the feel of the instrument. I do not like any guitar of mine to play stiff and I do not follow what convention dictates. Now as for 12's, I have one guitar with them that I use for alternate tunings.

Irony is I use 10-50 on my acoustics, just bought a set of 11's to give it a try. Now get this, half of my electrics are 11's. As for 10's on my acoustic, it has a lot to do with the feel of the instrument. I do not like any guitar of mine to play stiff and I do not follow what convention dictates. Now as for 12's, I have one guitar with them that I use for alternate tunings.

But are ovations really acoustics? :poke:

:grin:

But are ovations really acoustics? :poke:

:grin:

a·cous·tic gui·tar
noun
  1. a guitar that does not require electrical amplification, having a hollow body that amplifies the vibrations of the strings.

All guitars are acoustic guitars. Even plastic ones.

Soundboard is made of wood.

There were two layers of fiberglass cloth that had a perscribed amount of resign poured on it in a heated press

And it was called lyrachord

And in 1974 there was the coming of the applause. And its bowl was made in a compression heated mould from a mixture of polyester resign and chopped glass fibres

And it was called SMC

but the New hartford Ovations stayed with the cloth

In 1982 there was an experiment of making guitars in North Carolina and all the bowls were made there from the SMC

And in 1985 the experiment ended and all the bowls went to Astabula Ohio. Reifnements were made in the material

And it was called HMC

And that's where it is today

Now as a further note the cloth bowls were about 35%glass when all was said and done. The SMC(sheet molding compound)is a layer of resign that looks like taffy and had 1" chopped fibers inbedded in it. Those bowls are also about 35% glass. The HMC is made with fibers 1.5" long and are also the same percentage. We found that the longer fibers sounded better, more like the cloth bowls that were a PITA to make. Material costs werren't a real factor but mfg and scrap rates were. HMC was better on both.
There was a phase over from cloth the SMC/HMC. The Adamas 2 were all SMC from the beginning. the Adamas 1 was the last to switch from cloth.

All things being equal the cloth probably sounds better. But things are never equal are they? The finish, top thickness, grain, brace patterns, neck material, how it's joined to the bowl, type of rosette, bridge material all affect the sound.
So Sam I've heard cloth bowls that were last in the bow-wow 500 and HMCs that were in the top 10.

There you have it.

All I know is that mine both sound good to me. The super shallow is only used live anyway.
My Yairi does, too and my old Epihone Nouveau is not bad either. Lucky with my acoustics.

Back