Anybody else watch that "Going Clear" docu on HBO last night?

Their numbers are indeed dropping, but even with that - at least as I interpreted the docu - their coffers continue to grow thanks to land deals and continued freedom from the IRS. It may be that with the land they own and their tax exempt status, they really don't need all that many members to keep the dough rolling in.

Let's hope that's not the case, though.

Yeah, I guess I care more about the people they harm than the money they generate. Part of me thinks if the IRS changes their status, a Jonestown type thing may happen. That Miscavige seems like a ruthless dude.

Yeah, I guess I care more about the people they harm than the money they generate. Part of me thinks if the IRS changes their status, a Jonestown type thing may happen. That Miscavige seems like a ruthless dude.
Agreed. He and Hubbard give me the major creeps but in different ways. Hubbard seemed like a nutcase, but Miscavige seems to have a real Hitler-in-training vibe going on.

Agreed. He and Hubbard give me the major creeps but in different ways. Hubbard seemed like a nutcase, but Miscavige seems to have a real Hitler-in-training vibe going on.

That is exactly what I said to my wife last night. I got the impression that Hubbard was a sci fi writer that became mentally ill and started believing his sci fi writing was real and that Miscavige is just plain evil.

You'd think that at this point the IRS would man up and take back L. Ron's tax exempt status. Scientology is truly fascinating on a number of levels, and proves that the West's ideas about what constitutes intelligence or being smart, has nothing to do with common sense.

Will be watching tonight.

Having had many dealings with various Scientologists, I have an intense curiosity as to if that is why every one of them seemed more than a bit off kilter. Except for Bob Taylor. I honestly didn't know and wouldn't suspect if not for this thread. My every interaction with him was pleasant, fun and friendly. I'm kind of shocked.

I think you could do a documentory on just about any spritual organization and find something to take apart. Personally, if people get something that makes them better people from a spaceman or the flying spagetti monster or whatever, good for them. On the otherhand, there's the children. Personally, my wife belongs to a spritual organization that is based in a country where pizza comes from. Mine is a lot further east than that. When we got married they wanted me to guarantee I would raise my children in their belief system. All I would give them was that when my children became old enough to make a reasonable decision on their own I would not stand in their way. I see to many people throwing their kids into these organizations when they are just infants. By the time the kid is 7 or 8 they know exactly what they belive, they just don't know why. If Travolta, or Cruise want to give their money and time to this group, or if someone wants to give all their money to the Church of The Universal Rundle and they're a competent adult, it's their money and I don't care. Dragging your kids in I have an issue with. If what you believe is good and right your kids will find it on their own, you shouldn't have to indoctrinate them from birth. About half the people I know follow different beliefs than their parents.

I checked it out. Came away thinking Tom Cruise is the nuttiest nutter of them all. Good doc, though. Most of it seemed credible considering the interviewees were all top brass. I've read a few articles on Scientology and Miscavige, and I was surprised the doc didn't touch upon the fact that Mrs. Miscavige hasn't been seen or heard from in like 10 years, and the authorities don't seem to think there is anything wrong with that.

"There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over."
-Frank Zappa

I checked it out. Came away thinking Tom Cruise is the nuttiest nutter of them all. Good doc, though. Most of it seemed credible considering the interviewees were all top brass. I've read a few articles on Scientology and Miscavige, and I was surprised the doc didn't touch upon the fact that Mrs. Miscavige hasn't been seen or heard from in like 10 years, and the authorities don't seem to think there is anything wrong with that.
No biggie. She's just been vacationing in The Hole. She's having a lovely time.

Back