Anybody else watch that "Going Clear" docu on HBO last night?

smurfco

Meatus McPrepuce
I hope this doesn't count as a religious thread - if so, close it.

What a wild movie. I knew Scientology was kinda fucked up (I've seen the South Park episode) but I had no idea about the ritualized abuse and systematic brainwashing. It is truly astounding to me that they continue to enjoy tax exempt status in the US despite the fact that they rake in billions and their current leader seems like a loathsome, power-crazed madman.

Anyone else see it?

I'm very interested and will watch it at some point. I find religious documentaries fascinating and I'm not sure anyone has produced an objective one to date. I think it would take a searching agnostic that wasn't pro- or anti- any religion that just wanted to know what members, non-members (former and possible future), theologists, and general outsiders think about a given religion. As it currently stands there is definitely a heavy lean towards these types of docs being exposés by people that have been personally and negatively affected by the given religion or atheists out to disavow all religion.

The big question with Scientology is when will Travolta and Cruise admit their love to the world? There's nothing to be ashamed anymore...in fact there never was, but acceptance is the new black!

I'll probably watch it this week. I don't think anyone here is a Scientologist, if we had that kind of cash, it would be spent on guitars :grin:

Bob Taylor is a Scientologist and there have been issues reported at Taylor Guitars about those that don't go along it not being long for the company or hitting glass ceilings rather quickly. Breedlove was started by former colleagues and employees, but I'm not sure if it was just a new venture for said folks or if Scientology played a role in their departure.

Bob Taylor is a Scientologist and there have been issues reported at Taylor Guitars about those that don't go along it not being long for the company or hitting glass ceilings rather quickly. Breedlove was started by former colleagues and employees, but I'm not sure if it was just a new venture for said folks or if Scientology played a role in their departure.

I did not know that.

It is truly astounding to me that they continue to enjoy tax exempt status in the US despite the fact that they rake in billions and their current leader seems like a loathsome, power-crazed madman.

That hardly sets it apart from some of America’s Christian denominations.

That hardly sets it apart from some of America’s Christian denominations.
Treading carefully here...

Yes, there are systematic abuses in the Catholic Church, issues in Islam with Sharia Law, etc. and I don't mean to minimize them. But, say what you will about those religions, you can go into any church or mosque or synagogue in the country and ask "what's this all about" and they'll say, here's our Bible / Qu'ran / Torah, it's all in there. You don't have to pay them hundreds of thousands of dollars to learn about Xenu and his magic Douglas DC-8s. I don't think the comparison to Scientology is fair, at least in that regard. And I haven't seen any photos or stories of top members of Christianity / Islam / etc. partying with the IRS after coming to an agreement on tax exemption based on dropping dozens and dozens of lawsuits against the IRS (and individuals working there) in return.

Arguing the tax-exempt status for all religions is another topic for (likely) another forum.

Treading carefully here...

Yes, there are systematic abuses in the Catholic Church, issues in Islam with Sharia Law, etc. and I don't mean to minimize them. But, say what you will about those religions, you can go into any church or mosque or synagogue in the country and ask "what's this all about" and they'll say, here's our Bible / Qu'ran / Torah, it's all in there. You don't have to pay them hundreds of thousands of dollars to learn about Xenu and his magic Douglas DC-8s. I don't think the comparison to Scientology is fair, at least in that regard. And I haven't seen any photos or stories of top members of Christianity / Islam / etc. partying with the IRS after coming to an agreement on tax exemption based on dropping dozens and dozens of lawsuits against the IRS (and individuals working there) in return.

Arguing the tax-exempt status for all religions is another topic for (likely) another forum.

Well treaded.

I started watching it last night, but was exhausted and fell asleep halfway through. Have it playing on my DVR now.

I knew most of the information they imparted via the old Usenet alt.scientology groups, but putting human faces on it makes it even worse.

The documentary was very good. Lawrence Wright's book, which formed the basis for the documentary, is even better.

I'm going to watch tonight. My buddy texted last night after he watched it, and he was sufficiently freaked out.

One thing they mention, is that their numbers are dropping, so there is hope :grin:
Their numbers are indeed dropping, but even with that - at least as I interpreted the docu - their coffers continue to grow thanks to land deals and continued freedom from the IRS. It may be that with the land they own and their tax exempt status, they really don't need all that many members to keep the dough rolling in.

Let's hope that's not the case, though.

Back