Any reason to use a Fender branded PG

rather than one from GFS or from Warmoth??

I put a Fender one on my MIM 60th when I changed it over from white, and used a Warmoth one on my CV tele. Both seem fine. I plan on putting a tort HH on my new Blacktop to house the Dimarzio pickups I plan to use.

Warmoth is $34.00 and can be cut for open humbuckers (which they call fat humbuckers) as opposed to covered. GFS is $18.95, but no options and they don't cut a hole for one of the controls so that people can locate that themselves. Probably worth it to get the Warmoth one.

I never have. Though with an actual Fender I may not drill extra holes if the mounting holes don't line up. With my Squiers I drilled away.

stratPG_zpsxzw2pifq.jpg~original

Plus they are in Puyallup, and have the 253 area code, which is the area code of my youth. So I like that. Kinda like supporting the home team.

I've used the super-cheap EY ones on my MIMs and CV, they fit fine and look great.

rather than one from GFS or from Warmoth??

I put a Fender one on my MIM 60th when I changed it over from white, and used a Warmoth one on my CV tele. Both seem fine. I plan on putting a tort HH on my new Blacktop to house the Dimarzio pickups I plan to use.

Maybe not actual Fender but, do skip the cheapest, if you are going tort. Solid color, I don't think it matters. Cheapest tort = not good.

Maybe not actual Fender but, do skip the cheapest, if you are going tort. Solid color, I don't think it matters. Cheapest tort = not good.

I have NOT tried EY's tort guards, just a mint green Tele (which is also easy to screw up, EY's looks great), white pearl Strat and a 3-ply 8-hole white guard for a Jimmie Vaughan (fit perfectly, better than the POS stock guard).

Last edited:
Can anybody recommend a good source for custom guards that aren't outrageously priced? I'm thinking about having a guard made for my Legacy, but PickguardHeaven wants $60-some bucks for tort. I know they're hand cut so I get that they're not gonna be cheap, but I was hoping not to spend THAT much.

Back