Any of you have a Peavey Vypyr?

Alex W

Pork and Beans connoisseur
Right now I only have a Fender Mustang that I'm playing through headphones because I liquidated a bunch of my gear 6-8 months ago. I played a Vypyr when they first came out but the reliability horror stories were enough to make me look elsewhere.

I've been pretty interested in this video, because this kid is getting a lot of nice (imo of course) low and medium gain crunch tones out of the Vypyr VIP 1. The heaviest stuff I play is 90's grunge and this thing sounds pretty usable to me. Keep in mind he's just using an Epiphone Nighthawk. Sounds good to me.

I have a VIP 2. Decent usable tones. It does feel a bit flimsy. Also, in my basement music room, it seems to pick up a bit of a 60-cycle hum.

It's .... ok.

Actually, I thought the Vypyrs were absolute crap the first time around. I did, however, recently plug into a VIP 2, and found it a lot less objectionable - it even coaxed out some pretty good tones that could be dialed in quickly. While I think they are still built like crap, as long as they work and you don't have to move them around, they are a decent practice amp.

Many say that if you need more dirty tones, choose a Vypyr; if you like cleaner tones, get a Mustang. I would tend to agree, unless you like tweaking in the software, and a marginally better build quality (especially the III with the Celestion), then maybe get the Mustang anyway.

Back