Any nature students here?

Taking my dog on our walk in the woods today we had 3 deer run by about 75 feet in front of us.

Now Carol texted back to state she thinks it was a black dog rather than a bear. Thankfully. Bears are not unknown in this area.

Kidding aside. I work on a military base that is fairly secluded with lots of forest,water,etc. Last week I seen a buck and three doe's. Seen rabbits, pheasants,etc.. The coolest thing I've seen was two fox that were 'dog locked' and they were both trying to go in the opposite direction

Hawks. Hawks everywhere.
3874.jpg

Winter is hawk season here. Big red tails can snatch a small dog so we have to make sure the big dogs accompany our chihuahua if she's out in the back yard.
Deer, marsh hares, and a even few alligators can be found if you know where to look. I saw a full sized coyote on my street at 6AM a few years ago.

i almost had a goose strike this morning, pulling in to work. i was coming in the driveway and he had just taken off. good thing he had his landing gear up......:eek:

Skunks, raccoons, bobcats, deer, mountain lions, hawks, herons, salmon & steelhead have all been seen on my property.

For being in the burbs of DC, we have quite the wildlife in our neighborhood. I don't get to see it anymore because we moved across the street last summer, but at our old house, there was family of deer that used to come into our yard and drink from our koi pond. There are a few foxes roaming the hood and some folks have spotted a coyote. There was a bear spotted back in October and of course we have the regular raccoons and the occasional skunk. But my favorite is this guy. (sorry forhte shitty pic)
IMG_3091.jpg.jpeg

It's a black squirrel. I think there are 2 on our street. They aren't native to this area. In 1902 Canada gave a few to the DC zoo and they let them roam around the zoo and after years and years, they have reproduced and moved out to the burbs.

I used to get mad at the squirrels stealing our bird food, until I looked back there and saw two enormous RATS chowing down on the seed that had collected on the ground beneath the feeder.

We haven't put any seed out there in quite some time. :lol:
Haven't seen any rats in the 20 years living here. We keep outdoor cat, 4, so that may help.

Worked at a place that had a purple squirrel for a few months. It got carbon paper from the dumpster and lined their nest with it. Freaking awesome time.

Back