Any mature students here?

Y'all know I'm in school. I'm amazed my wife hasn't smothered me in my sleep yet.

Actually she is super supportive. But live is hugely busy. I might have bitten off more than I can chew this semester.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Im 58 and just signed up for WordPress and other web-related classes....

And hopefully be a guitar student again soon...

I just started my master's in music this year at age 33. I'd been teaching guitar at the college level up until now (my job was turned into a full-time spot, but they wouldn't let me apply for it because I didn't have a master's, so I lost my job). Music is likely pretty different than other subjects, but there are a few academic classes I have to take, and they're all pretty heavy on reading and writing. I'm balancing teaching, gigging, a family, practicing, composing, and running a band. I'm stretched pretty thin, but I love doing this, so I'm not stressed out.

A good few years ago I was fucked off doing supply teaching and applied to join the British Navy as an education officer.

I sailed through all of the fitness stuff and after a quick look at my qualifications I was fast tracked for application to Sandhurst to train as an officer.

One random Tuesday evening I received a phone call from some proper balls in mouth sounding dickbag.

"Ahem is this Jaaaaaaaames I'm speaking to?"

Uh yes but you can call me Jim

"Ah gooooooooood. Jaaaaaaames I'm *insert rank I've no clue what it means* from the British Navy"

Ah ok thanks for calling me. How can I help you?

" well it's, aaaaaaaaah you see James, I have your aaaaaaaaah CV here and it's uuuuuuuuuuh , it's good, really good."

Thank you

"HOWEVER!"

However?

'Well you don't have a masters son..."

No I don't

"But you need one"

I've got a professional graduate degree in education...

"yes but you don't have a masters"

uh huh, but my PGDE is a level up from a masters, and I've been teaching for 5 years...

"Yes I know but you see, you need a masters to enrol in the officer corps"

I have a qualification a whole SCQF level above a masters...

"yes yes but you need a masters you see...."

OK so say I have my masters, I do my officer training course, pass out and so on, what is the first post Sandhurst qualification I'll do to be an education officer?

"Well the PGCE of course"

Which is a slightly less thorough version of the PGDE I've already got?....

"Yes yes,"

So I can't get into a training course to work towards a degree I've already got to do a job I already essentially do because I don't have a poxxy masters?

"yes my boy, that's exactly it"

yeah ok, bye

:facepalm:

I'm 30, just started my Masters in Electrical Engineering last semester. Doing it all online. I'm in VA, school is in AZ.

The program is 10 courses and a final comprehensive exam. I'm taking a course per semester, on top of my regular 40 hour work week. Company is paying for most of the schooling. (They have an upper limit, and my tuition plus fees plus books just slightly tops it)

My experience so far has been "busy but manageable". But I had to make some life changes to make that happen. I drink on the weekends a lot less, and fuck around on Netflix and the internet a lot less. I watch less sports (though I never really watched too much anyway). The way I look at it, drinking less saves money and helps me loose weight. And spending my time studying, watching lectures online, and doing homework will pay dividends down the road in my career, and...watching Netflix or talking to you sorry lot of old hacks about which Andrews Sister was the hottest won't.

Yeah, I get completely exhausted at times. And yes I've had thoughts of "Is this really worth it?". But I started my Masters 8 or so years ago right after college and never finished because I started working and life got in the way, and I always regretted it. So I'm trying my best to stay dedicated and stick with it this time.

You'll likely feel the same way at times. So try to focus on the positives (more money from spending less, loosing weight, healthier, career goals), enjoy the breaks when they come (Holidays, Summers), and keep your head down.

Schedules are a very good thing. Find out how much time you need to spend each week, break that into each night, and then actually DO IT. You're going to miss out on things, and it's going to suck, so you just have to answer the question of 'is it worth it to you?"

One thing to keep in mind, we humans are amazingly well at adapting to our current situations. You'll be amazed after a few months of spending an hour or two every night studying, and not drinking nearly as much, or whatever it may be, just how little you miss it and how much you've adapted to your new schedule.

Best of luck, whatever you decide. But, another thing is, there really is no down side. I mean, I guess it looks better to just say "No thanks" to the boss, than if you tried and quit. But if you do try and quit because it's not worth it to you, you're not out any money, you know you gave it a shot, and you don't have to always wonder. So, there's that.

I'm currently doing a degree in computer science and working at 40. It's been hard as all hell. I noticed that the old brain can't keep up as much as I did in my 20's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I went to the info evening and it actually sounds pretty good and doable.

Distance learning with 3 seminars on Saturdays I need to attend per year of the course - essays and coursework sound mostly based on personal and professional reflection rather than having to sit with piles of books and in the final year I need to take ownership of a part of my place's school improvement plan and run with it then report back so it's win win for the school as they'll have someone working on it other than the staff that see it as a burden and it's the kind of thing I really want to have on my cv if I am ever going to get promoted.

I've still got to apply and it's not fully funded but it's only a couple of hundred quid per year once all the subsidies and grants are thrown in so it's a no brainer.

Will report back if I get an interview.

Many moons ago I went back to college at age 36 with four young kids and a full time job (plus a part time one). I was managing OK, but about 2/3 of the way through the program (a year in) my supportive wife pulled her support and it almost cost me my marriage. I took a semester off went back and finished. I was four classes short of my degree and did not have the time or money to finish. I've considered going back, but the school is a private college and their tuition costs are through the roof and I would lose a lot of credits due to the way the courses have changed. And transferring to another school I'm guessing I would lose half my credits. So I may never finish.

Recently started a MA program in linguistics, and I'm effin' old. Now's just a good time to do it, my son is a junior in high school. Hopefully I can get most of it out of the way before he starts college.

I'm 51 and started an MA program last year. IMO, more education is never a bad thing. If someone else is footing the bill, that's even better.

I still want to get my masters. Don't know when I will go for it but I am already 56.

Last edited:
Well ya ain't gettin' any younger and there's no time like the present. Go for it!

Too busy playing music and work cuts into time for studying. Eventually I will figure something out. Have a plan in the near future for more education.

So, last minute, I ended up "volunteering" to go on a residential with the kids last week = no access to work e-mails.

I get in this morning, open them up and the first one I see is from the council:

Congratulations you have been put forward for interview. Your time slot is Monday at 2pm :facepalm:

I've literally got about half an hour to make myself look presentable and prep what little I can about the questions!!!

So, last minute, I ended up "volunteering" to go on a residential with the kids last week = no access to work e-mails.

I get in this morning, open them up and the first one I see is from the council:

Congratulations you have been put forward for interview. Your time slot is Monday at 2pm :facepalm:

I've literally got about half an hour to make myself look presentable and prep what little I can about the questions!!!
Good luck. You can do it!

meh that was hopefully the full stop on what has been a shitty 7 days :grin:

Bumped into my old P.E. teacher / the first head I worked for - he is now the director of education for the whole council as I was waiting outside.

As I walked in the head of the panel said "Tony just stuck his head in and said he used to teach you."

"Yup, I taught for him when he was head of school X and we got that Outstanding award for the HMIE inspection." :embarrassed:

Interview was straight forward enough - I was maybe a bit too honest when they asked why I had applied I said partly because it will have a positive impact on my school but also because I've got one eye on where my career is going in the next 5-10 years :shrug:

Guess who's going back to uni - the fourth oldest one in the English speaking world at that! :embarrassed:

Kate-Upton-2013-Sports-Illustrated-Swimsuit-Issue3.png

Sorry -- I thought you said NATURE students!

Back