any Joe Ely - David Grissom fans out there?

Count me in. I was lucky enough to see Joe play when I lived in Austin back in the late 1980s.

Last edited:
I've seen him twice, both times as part of a quadruple bill with Lyle Lovett, Guy Clark, and John Hiatt. I want to like him more than I do.

if you don't have a lot of time to watch this......fast forward to 54:30......have you ever seen dallas from a dc-9

HUGE Grissom fan. I'm not into Ely much though. I've listened and assumed I'd dig him more, but he just doesn't speak to me like Lyle and Hiatt.

I have to add that Grissom is arguably one of it not the best guitarists to come out of Texas...at least in the blues/rock genre. He's definitely become my favorite and well surpasses Eric Johnson and has probably edged passed SRV...but I still like Stevie's voice more as well as his songwriting/selection.

David is a monster player, but more importantly an expressive player.

Grissom in Storyville..great geetar playing with David Holt (who I liked better). Surpasses Eric Johnson and SRV? You sir, with all due respect, are high.

Grissom in Storyville..great geetar playing with David Holt (who I liked better). Surpasses Eric Johnson and SRV? You sir, with all due respect, are high.

I've seen all three live and David does more with more fire than Eric and equals SRV on the expressive meter while topping him in the variety of sounds and styles he's able to extract from his guitar. It's all subjective, but if you listen to and have seen them all live you can't help but understand them in a different way. Grissom is also one of the most underrated players out there. He gets his accolades but deserves more and far higher praise.

Well. let me pick apart your reply. ( kidding) I have not seen Grissom live. EJ . past White Cliffs of Dover, is a rather tedious player. No tonal changes, just speed. SRV was pretty predictable after Texas Flood. Couldn't Stand the Weather was good. Not great.

never heard of him but i've got the OP clip playing in the back ground. thanks for sharing this! how come i don't sound like Grissom when i play my DGT? wtf?

never heard of him but i've got the OP clip playing in the back ground. thanks for sharing this! how come i don't sound like Grissom when i play my DGT? wtf?

I can't tell what's going on here! Is it Ely that you've never heard of?

If you really do have a DGT and you don't sound like him are you suggesting that I would need more than his gear to achieve his sound and musicianship?

Well, eff the effin' eff out of some sorta effin' thing!

Hadn't heard of Ely before. I was being cheeky about not sounding like Grissom when playing my DGT. However, I do sound exactly like Tele Caster when I play my Les Paul.

Hadn't heard of Ely before. I was being cheeky about not sounding like Grissom when playing my DGT. However, I do sound exactly like Tele Caster when I play my Les Paul.

Along those lines, Danny Gatton often sounded like Les Paul (the player) when playing his Telecaster. :thu:

Back