Any Ideas?

Peen Simmons

Let’s Get Obtuse!
So I'm running a pretty non standard rig at the moment for rock band stuff...guitar through a big loud solid state bass amp with a 15 inch speaker.

Right now I'm using a Marshall-flavored OD for color and gain with surprisingly pleasant results. However, I'm thinking I might like to get something a little more preampish/foundation overdrivey.

Sounds wise, I'm digging your older tweed type fender tones and stuff in that realm. I tend to like vintage flavors with good note definition. Think 60s and 70s. More Who or Stones than Zep and Sabbath. Probably more in the realm of chime/crunch/breakup vs. total saturation...when I go for big gain tones, I usually go fuzz.

Any recommendations for stuff to check out.

Check out the Catlinbread SFT. That seems to be something in that tone window. It has a pretty wide range of drive settings and does the big fuzz thing well, but it really shines in the cleaner Stones tones (think Get Yer Ya-ya's Out).

Check out the Catlinbread SFT. That seems to be something in that tone window. It has a pretty wide range of drive settings and does the big fuzz thing well, but it really shines in the cleaner Stones tones (think Get Yer Ya-ya's Out).

That's def on my list of things to try.

There's a bunch of tweedy pedals out there, of course. I also like the Greer Amps Ghetto Stomp, supposed to sound like a tweed amp or an old Valco, and the JHS Superbolt for Supro-like sounds.

One thing to note on the Catalinbread stuff is the newer versions have a button to switch between cleaner and higher gain settings. These are found on the tweed based Formula 55 and Ampeg based SFT.

As Denverdave said, check out Catalinbread. But they have more than just the SFT. They have a whole line of what they call "foundation overdrives"

http://catalinbread.com/product-category/foundation-overdrive/

I also dug the Xotic AC booster for a preampy thing.

That was what I was going to say. I have the Formula 5 myself (a tweed type, 5e3 particularly, http://catalinbread.com/product/formula-no-5/), and just posted last night in the original thread how much I was liking it.

Here is a nice vid showing how versatile it is with use of the volume knob.

That was what I was going to say. I have the Formula 5 myself (a tweed type, 5e3 particularly, http://catalinbread.com/product/formula-no-5/), and just posted last night in the original thread how much I was liking it.

Here is a nice vid showing how versatile it is with use of the volume knob.
Oops here's the vid.

This one is not in stock direct from C-Bread right now, but you can find it. There is also the 5f6, which is in stock.

Supposed to be more bassman than deluxe.

I think both of those pedals sound awesome. I want one but just don't know which!!
Obviously the bassman is the basis for the Marshall circuit. I already have 3 Marshall-ish amps. I've never played a 5e3 type amp but I like how they sound. I'm looking for something to use with the clean channel to get a bluesy type tone but still have plenty of gain on tap if needed.

I have a crazy idea...

Instead of spending $250+ for a boutique level pedal to make a bass amp sound something like a guitar amp...

Buy a guitar amp.

I know, crazy.

I have a crazy idea...

Instead of spending $250+ for a boutique level pedal to make a bass amp sound something like a guitar amp...

Buy a guitar amp.

I know, crazy.

A guitar amp might be a better long-term solution, but a lot of the pedals we're talking about are under $200. It'd be hard to get a decent-sounding guitar amp for that price.

I would also look at the Tech21 Character series, they have a cab sim built in to simulate guitar speakers. I don't think the make and model of bass amp is mentioned above, but the modern bass amp is usually a full-range PA with a full-range speaker. And amp-in-a-box with speaker sim might liven it up a little more.

Back