Any good guitar chord books out there for using odd chordings?

Probably from books numbering index finger to pinky as 1-4, so you think the index finger is used first in fingering chords, and pinky last.
It's just a finger that people don't use much in everyday life for anything so it is pretty underdeveloped for most folks.

I think only the Spanish Inquisition has the proper stretching exercise for my fingers to be able to reach that chord shape :embarrassed:

You know you teed that one up, right??

hA7A7C8B8.jpeg

:embarrassed:

Wow, you have students that actually USE their pinky?! :eek::eek:
I'm curious, why do they refuse to use their pinky?

When I started playing I didn't use my pinky for single-note playing just because my teacher didn't specifically told me (he wasn't really a fundamental technique oriented). Then, on the day I went to try and buy my trusty SG at the store the salesman said "hey, you play like Clapton - you don't use your pinky". That remark\backhanded compliment made me use my pinky more.
Since then almost every technique book, column or article I read reffered to the important of using all your fretting hand fingers.

Sometimes you gotta reach with the pinky though. Take for instance Man On The Silver Mountain - Rainbow. When Blackmore plays that little run on the high E & B strings during the chorus during "come down with fire, lift my spirit higher", it's a 5th fret - 1st fret stretch on the high E. I gotta reach with it some :embarrassed:

I'm curious, why do they refuse to use their pinky?

When I started playing I didn't use my pinky for single-note playing just because my teacher didn't specifically told me (he wasn't really a fundamental technique oriented). Then, on the day I went to try and buy my trusty SG at the store the salesman said "hey, you play like Clapton - you don't use your pinky". That remark\backhanded compliment made me use my pinky more.
Since then almost every technique book, column or article I read reffered to the important of using all your fretting hand fingers.

Because like Mark said above, most people have incredibly under developed pinkys and do as much as possible with their third finger. One of my students (13 year old) wanted to learn Thunderstruck last night and because playing the intro riff with his index and pinky was more difficult, he switched to his third. We spent the next 10 minutes working on pinky drills and then going back to it and it was way cleaner and faster.

It's easy to understand the tendency to use the pinky less, I just don't get refusal.
Every now and then I try to play some pentatonics with just index-middle-ring and I just don't get how people do it below the 10th fret.
However, when I move up the neck , shifting positions relatively quick, I usually find it more comfortable to use my ring finger instead of my pinky, and vice versa when I move down the neck.

I just grabbed this yesterday for super cheap. Been using it to explore voicing.
2c7426df23d585f435ff1cea9b56b37e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

OK, I've read the thread again and I think I understand a little better what you meant by "reaching with your pinky".

Back