Any fans of the Desert/Stoner type stuff?

Phil513

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Staff member
Probably not. :embarrassed:

I thought this was cool though. John Garcia (of Kyuss, Unida, and a bunch others) has a solo album. I always dug his vocals.

Pretty much Doom/Stoner/Dessert rock is all I listen to. Kyuss being a huge Favorite of mine. They reunited without Josh Homme of Queens of the Stoneage as Kyuss lives and then that ginger sued them. They changed their name to Vista Chino. It's funny, I hate Queeens of the Stoneage and prefer Vista Chino.

I figured you'd be the only one that would answer. lol. I think he's really underrated as a singer. Glad to see him going out on his own.

If this was a thread about about the Beatles you'd have more responses. In my musical world Black Sabbath were the Beatles and pop music doesn't exist

I'm kinda the same, but I never really latched on to Kyuss. Somehow they got lost in translation.

I really dig Kyuss. My parents live not far from where they started. When I'm heading through the desert out to their place, they are my soundtrack. It just seems to fit. :grin:

I actually live literally right off of Vista Chino. :grin: I bought the first two QOSA albums and I dug them both especially Rated R. I've always been into White Stripes and Black Keys, so they are right up my alley.

I'm playing OP's song, definitely my kinda stuff. Funny story, Jesse Hughes (lead singer for Eagles of Death Metal) worked at a Video rental store with my Dad up here in the desert right before they got big. Says he was a cool guy, used to be into drugs pretty hard and all that unfortunately...hopefully isn't now.

So, does anyone know any other bands in this genre?
Yawning man
Brandt Bjork
Part chimp
Electric wizard
Bongzilla
Uncle acid and the deadbeats
Fu manchu
Nebula
Hermano
Boris
Fatso jetson
Causa sui
Fatso jetson
Sasquatch
Orange goblin

... There's a ton more

I love stoner rock! :rawk:

Brant Bjork and Nick Oliveri's (other ex Kyuss members) solo stuff is also great.

Other stoner rock? Some may be just plain rock but this is all stoner rock to me

Ancestors
The Assemble Head In Sunburst Sound
Astra
Asteroid
Black Mountain
The Black Angels
Causa Sui
Clutch
Colour Haze (if I can encourage you to listen to just one of these bands, listen to Colour Haze)
Dead Meadow
Dozer
Earthless
Fatso Jetson
Fu Manchu
The Grand Astoria
Greenleaf
Hainloose
Hermano (another John Garcia band)
Hypnos 69
Kamni
Mammatus
Masters Of Reality
Mondo Generator (Nick Oliveri's band)
Monkey3
Monster Magnet
My Sleeping Karma
The Mystick Krewe of Clearlight
Nebula
Orange Goblin
Pharaoh Overlord
Samsara Blues Experiment
Sienna Root
Sasquatch
Seven That Spells
Serpent Throne
Sleepy Sun
Slo Burn (yet another Garcia band)
Sungrazer
Tia Carrera
Truckfighters
Ufomammut
Unida (guess what, another Garcia band)
White Hills
Wo Fat

EDIT: The other post went out while I was building this list :)

thanks for posting this, that was awesome!

sleep, bongripper and electric wizard all have new stuff out right now. great time for stoner rock!!!!

I'll have to do some digging. I dig QOTSA a lot and some of the Kyuss stuff, but haven't delved much deeper than that.

Pretty much Doom/Stoner/Dessert rock is all I listen to. Kyuss being a huge Favorite of mine. They reunited without Josh Homme of Queens of the Stoneage as Kyuss lives and then that ginger sued them. They changed their name to Vista Chino. It's funny, I hate Queeens of the Stoneage and prefer Vista Chino.

What the hell does Ice Cream, Pie, and Jello have to do with anything? :shrug:

I love Fu Manchu and old Monster Magnet had a great stoner vibe. There was this other band I used to listen to that were a bit more "metal" but still very stoner vibe... Kalas maybe?

Welcome To Sky Valley still crushes.

The music in that video is killer, but the vocals may take me a while to come around to liking. They aren't bad, but there is something going on there that doesn't hit me right. But I didn't like Patterson Hoods vocals for a while either.

Back