Any Camping Enthusiasts?

I camp and hike overnight all the time. One of the most EPIC trips was when me and my three kids went out to Wyoming and headed out in the wilderness via horseback and camped with guides. They had a cook, a horse wrangler and a head guide. They all carried firearms in the event of any angry wolves or bears and the lead also had a chainsaw who would cut down trees that feel in our paths. There were 8 of us total on horses and they had 5 more horses (tethered) carrying all the gear. It was 100% COMPLETELY AWESOME! At one point we went up to a glacier made lake and caught wild trout that they cooked right on the shore banks for lunch. I have a ton of pics and wouldn't even know where to start showing them. One of the most memorable comping trips I've ever had.

For the regular campgrounds I've hand made a custom Camp Kitchen that holds all the food and cooking supplies. Locks up at night to keep the critters away.

There was an amazing place that operated in the Wind Rivers (near Pinedale, WY) that did this type of thing. Great people and they had a beautiful spread. Sadly, I think they went out of business. Sounds like a sweet trip. I rode a horse exactly once and it fucked up my back, ass, legs, and balls for nearly a week. It was fun though.

Every year I go on a 6-12 day backpacking trip out in the wilderness somewhere. My goal is to visit every national park in the U.S. & Canada and I'm about 1/3 of the way through.

I also do a few weekenders and car camping trips all year round.

184b4a965ad5f0a4011dece3e086775f.jpg

Lemme know if your route takes you through WY. I can recommend a ton of beautiful places that are accessible but won't be loaded with people.

Yeah -- the Grand Targhee National Forest is convenient to both Jellystone and the Tetons, has access to fantastic fishing in the Snake River and is pretty much unvisited! When I lived in IF (of course, that was almost 30 years ago) you could pretty much pull off anywhere and pitch a tent.

Yeah -- the Grand Targhee National Forest is convenient to both Jellystone and the Tetons, has access to fantastic fishing in the Snake River and is pretty much unvisited! When I lived in IF (of course, that was almost 30 years ago) you could pretty much pull off anywhere and pitch a tent.
From there, you can also drive across Highway 20 up to Hailey/Sun Valley, and access the stuff I was referring to (Stanley/Redfish area) then head over Lowman to Boise to carry on to the PNW (Seattle or Portland), or spend more time driving more twisty roads north up through the mountains of Idaho/Montana ending up on I-90 if you are heading to Seattle. A couple different options there. A little longer trip adding that last set of options on. 9 hours between hailey and Spokane, which is 5 hours to Seattle, via Stanley and Salmon up to Missoula. Hailey to Seattle is about 10 or 11 total if you go direct via 84.

Last edited:
My brother & sister-in-law want to go camping down in Hocking Hills State Park in Ohio, preferably in the fall. I've been invited to go, as long as I bring my own tent :tongue: Which I do own one but haven't used it in forever :(

Amusingly a German friend of mine just sent me this old link to a New Zealand newspaper article about a random group of "freedom campers" I hooked up with in Golden Bay for a few months.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/news/3565715/Campers-living-free-and-easy

3566011.jpg

I'm forth from right in the Tigers hat.

One of the best times of my life.

Oh and the only guy actually living under the bridge was the homeless man.

Golden Bay is incredible btw.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gol...ved=0ahUKEwiF3cu_gLLMAhWCYyYKHWC3Cw8Q_AUIBygC

I hit random spots west of Denver in the foothills.
They are mostly in Arapahoe Nat Forrest.
I don't do the tent ,shit in a bag thing. I sleep in the back of my Cherrokee in a sleeping bag. No bears or mountain lions,bobcats... to worry about.

I love going to the parks and then leaving. I do my camping places like Motel 6, Super 8, Days Inn, Quality Inn, Holiday Inn.

I hit random spots west of Denver in the foothills.
They are mostly in Arapahoe Nat Forrest.
I don't do the tent ,shit in a bag thing. I sleep in the back of my Cherrokee in a sleeping bag. No bears or mountain lions,bobcats... to worry about.

JEEP!

We're planning on traveling between PA and the PNW. No specific route planned yet.

Make sure to go through Utah, Moab area if possible. Just amazingly beautiful unique country unlike anyplace else. SW Utah is also good, Bryce, Zion, Grand Staircase-Escalante region. The switzerland of 'mericuh region of sw Cololardo (Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride area) is a must see as well. There's a back route (state road) from Telluride to Moab that passes through "Naturita" (Naturita is nothing special but just the main town I remember). Great country back there!

This is somewhere east of Naturita, CO...typical view on that back route. Also Monument Valley Arizona area (The whole north east region of AZ is pretty spectacular)
IMG_2265.JPG

I do a fair amount of camping in PA. Nothing really spectacular thats accessible by car but I know of a few nice 2-3 day trips that involve backpacking or kayaking.

I really need to head out west some day

I want to do a couple days or three at Great Sand Dunes.

That's where I took this photo last year.

a3384183147_10.jpg

The dunes are massive, but a bit of an aberration in the area. Pretty easy to get around, nice campground setup, and you can camp way out on the dunes too!

That's where I took this photo last year.

a3384183147_10.jpg

The dunes are massive, but a bit of an aberration in the area. Pretty easy to get around, nice campground setup, and you can camp way out on the dunes too!

I've been there. It was a long time ago but made a huge impression. *spits*

Cool pic.

Yeah I'm kinda obsessed with desert/badland type landscapes. Probably has to do with growing up in the cold and wet!

Back