Any Camping Enthusiasts?

Lerxst

spaghetti and blankets
I know we have a few. What are some of your favorite spots?

We're thinking about doing a car camping/road trip this summer to see some of the sights in this great country. This prob won't permit any backwoods camping or backpacking though.

used to camp out all the time. but haven't in years and years. would again but i would need to get some new gear, like a tent :facepalm: :grin:

When I was a kid and a teenager I loved it. It's something I'd love to get back into, but most of my friends aren't interested.

When I was a kid and a teenager I loved it. It's something I'd love to get back into, but most of my friends aren't interested.
yea....that's a problem for me too. camping by yourself isn't a whole lot of fun, unless the intent is solitude.

Just got a new Eureka tent, so I'm hoping to do more. Used to go to Shad Landing S.P. and Pokomoke S.P. in DE/MD every year when I was in college. Nice spring trip. Ricketts Glen in PA is nice.

I like camping but the Mrs hates it. Mostly because it wrecks her back. Haven't camped in about 10 years. :(

Where abouts in the country are we talking? I can recommend some incredible spots in Wyoming, not including the usual suspects of Yellowstone, Tetons, etc. I know some decent places in NH too.

We're planning on traveling between PA and the PNW. No specific route planned yet.

Nope. I like electricity and running water. I am the first one to tap out in Zombie Apocalypse.

Lemme know if your route takes you through WY. I can recommend a ton of beautiful places that are accessible but won't be loaded with people.

We car camp as a family, mostly up at Redfish Lake, near Stanley, Idaho. Also some other spots. We like to bring the old family outboard and do some skiing, wakeboarding and tubing, along with some hiking and biking. We also go to yurts, and generally a couple backpack trips per year, and have done a bike camp trip from hot spring to hot spring. My wife is the big camp fan. I like being there, but would prefer a bed in a room to car camping. I sleep better then.

We're planning on traveling between PA and the PNW. No specific route planned yet.
Let me know if you come by us. It will likely depend if you are going more along I-90 or end up more along I-80 to I-84. If on I-84, I could suggest a really nice (paved and nice) back road detour between Twin Falls, Idaho and Boise, before heading to the PNW. And some nice places to camp along that way. You would see the Sun Valley area, the central Idaho ranges and origins of the Salmon River (of no return), and be able to pick a campground somewhere in there which I could help you with. And I could buy you a beer. I would be glad to discuss it with you if that sounds like a good fit for your trip. It is pretty nice country a lot of people don't get to.

EDIT: If your trip is more up along I-90, you will want to talk to @Dogsinotpalc . Good options up there too. But glad to help if you come my way.

Last edited:
yea....that's a problem for me too. camping by yourself isn't a whole lot of fun, unless the intent is solitude.

Booze and or drugs enhance the experience of solo campinf too :embarrassed:

Over the years I've camped many times over the last 10 years I mainly camped with my brother but haven't in about 5 years now because his job primarily. So I took up solo camping, it was more enticing when I was a weed smoker :wink:. The last time I solo camped was way back up a seldom used 4wd road in Colorado at 13,000 feet. I drank I puked (elevation) but it was fun. The year before that I went on a 3 night solo camping trip in New Mexico (Taos, Gila wilderness, Los Alamos areas) but the by the 3rd night when in the Gila Wilderness that one nearly broke me. I just had this impending feeling of loneliness, I felt like the last person on earth.

For the op I'd stay away from any campgrounds and such, not sure where you're at but in the western states it's primarily public land and that means lots of National forest and Bureau of Land management both of which you can pretty much camp anywhere...get off the beaten path. order up the forest maps of the areas you plan to visit, state maps , etc and research places online before you go, that's what I always do.

I don't camp any longer, but some of my favorite spots were:

1. Zion National Park
2. Grand Canyon - North Rim
3. Big Bend National Park
4. Michigan U.P.

I'm enthusiastic about it, but I haven't done it seriously since I was in the scouts. My life moved away from outdoor adventuring and I eventually met my wife who's not interested. Given the choice, I'd rather hang out with my happy wife than be camping alone or with other folks. It would make the camping less enjoyable without her regardless of the company. But I'm about not showering, hiking like crazy, eating from a limited (mostly in scope) supply of provisions, and loving nature.

I'm not a fan. However, the wife and son (and neighbors) love it, so I'm forced to do it a couple times a year.

If you decide you want to be eaten alive by mosquitos, I can tell you where all the great spots are down this way.

I camp and hike overnight all the time. One of the most EPIC trips was when me and my three kids went out to Wyoming and headed out in the wilderness via horseback and camped with guides. They had a cook, a horse wrangler and a head guide. They all carried firearms in the event of any angry wolves or bears and the lead also had a chainsaw who would cut down trees that feel in our paths. There were 8 of us total on horses and they had 5 more horses (tethered) carrying all the gear. It was 100% COMPLETELY AWESOME! At one point we went up to a glacier made lake and caught wild trout that they cooked right on the shore banks for lunch. I have a ton of pics and wouldn't even know where to start showing them. One of the most memorable comping trips I've ever had.

For the regular campgrounds I've hand made a custom Camp Kitchen that holds all the food and cooking supplies. Locks up at night to keep the critters away.

Let me know if you come by us. It will likely depend if you are going more along I-90 or end up more along I-80 to I-84. If on I-84, I could suggest a really nice (paved and nice) back road detour between Twin Falls, Idaho and Boise, before heading to the PNW. And some nice places to camp along that way. You would see the Sun Valley area, the central Idaho ranges and origins of the Salmon River (of no return), and be able to pick a campground somewhere in there which I could help you with. And I could buy you a beer. I would be glad to discuss it with you if that sounds like a good fit for your trip. It is pretty nice country a lot of people don't get to.

EDIT: If your trip is more up along I-90, you will want to talk to @Dogsinotpalc . Good options up there too. But glad to help if you come my way.

It's very likely...I'll hit you up when the time comes

Lemme know if your route takes you through WY. I can recommend a ton of beautiful places that are accessible but won't be loaded with people.

That would be great. Thanks

Back