Any alternative Thanksgiving feasts?

335clone

Living the dream
We don't do the turkey thing. We believe in being thankful for local food, which in our case is dungeness crab from Monterey bay, San Francisco sourdough bread and green salad from the Salinas valley.

Turkey is good, and we eat it often, just not for a celebration.

Any of you do an alternative to turkey/stuffing/sweet potatoes/mashed potatoes/gravy/cranberrys?

I'm smoking a large chicken rather than roasting a turkey...we're having a small group so it's not worth doing a big old turkey. I've had tofurkey in the past too.

I wish. my in-laws host Thanksgiving every year and the only stuff that isn't straight out of 1968 is what we bring. We are bringing a couple of hams and my wife is making gluten-free stuffing with chicken mango habanero sausage.

Although the last several year my father-in-law was destroying turkeys in a turkey fryer. Its amazing how you can make such dried out turkey with so much oil :embarrassed:

I was gonna do a duck instead of a turkey, but the store had turkeys for like $5. I guess I'll do that.

Not for Thanksgiving (which was a month ago for us), but my brother started a cool Christmas tradition a couple of years ago.
It was always difficult for everyone to get together right AT Christmas time. So, he had a get together earlier in December.
Since everyone was going to be having the big dinner with their own families a few weeks later, the whole turkey/stuffing/etc. thing seemed silly.

So, he made up a big batch of ribs and wings.

It's awesome!

We are leaving tomorrow for a long weekend in the Berkshires; I have no idea what we'll do for Thanksgiving dinner, but, of course, I don't eat turkey. I just hope there is someplace open to eat. I contacted the Indian restaurant in the area we are staying to see if they would be open. Here is their reply:

"Dear Gary

Really sorry to mention that we will be closed on account of Thanks Giving on Thursday 28th November, 2013.

VJ"

Nope, we are totally traditional.
The only thing we do a little differently is the sweet potatoes. Mrs. Walt found a killer sweet potaoes au gratin recipe several years ago, and there's no way we could ever go back to that nasty candied yams bullshit that most people have.

Nope, we are totally traditional.
The only thing we do a little differently is the sweet potatoes. Mrs. Walt found a killer sweet potaoes au gratin recipe several years ago, and there's no way we could ever go back to that nasty candied yams bullshit that most people have.
oh my. recipe?

We are normally traditional in this regard but are in the islands so will mix it up a bit. Not going to try to pull off the traditional whole turkey in the condo kitchen. Maybe bury one in a luau pit? Teriyaki turkey cutlets?

We are normally traditional in this regard but are in the islands so will mix it up a bit. Not going to try to pull off the traditional whole turkey in the condo kitchen. Maybe bury one in a luau pit? Teriyaki turkey cutlets?

Spurkey? Traditional Hawaiian meal.

spam-turkey.jpeg

My sister in law is cooking eggs and spam this morning. I am not partaking. I will stick to fruit, Mahi Mahi , pokey, and ahi for my local eats.

I was by myself today. I had a "scratch" dinner: Target house brand frozen meatballs and sauce. Maybe not a surprise, the meatballs were better then the ones at the Olive Garden (not that I would mistake it for genuine Italian food). I bought the spaghetti sauce because it won the lowest sodium prize. I simmered it for a long time to concentrate the sauce a bit and to permeate the meat balls. I really enjoyed it!

On Saturday I plan on wrapping a turkey in bacon. Cooking it too.

Rather an obscenely sacrilegious thing to eat on a Jewish holiday. Maybe I'll take out Chinese instead.

A Big Mac at lunch and I just picked up a subway sandwich at the Fayetteville Walmart. We'll eat our turkey dinner on Saturday probably.

Back