Another weekend of vehicle maintenance.

Steverino

black sheep
Seems I go for months without having to do anything. Then it comes, a bunch of things need attention.

My starter has been dragging so I'm going to do some troubleshooting and hopefully rule out the starter itself. It's one of those gear-reduction types. It drags all the time, but really bad when the engine is warm, as if the ignition timing were too far advanced. Only problem with that is, this Vortech 4.3 V6 does not have an adjustable dizzy. If it is indeed the timing, I'll have to remove the dizzy cap and make sure it's not a tooth off. If it is, then I've got way bigger problems.

I can borrow an AC/DC current clamp meter, so I'll use that to check the current draw, clean all connections at the batter and starter ends. I have a battery load checker, so the battery will get tested too. As much as batteries cost these days, I'd gladly have to buy a new one instead of that damn starter that GM engineers should be shot for making it so hard to get to.

Also, just for fun, I've ordered some clear turn signal lenses for the front.
41ue%2BLdVuVL._SX300_.jpg

BBF53EBF-72FD-4876-943A-AE3207EADB7C_zpsgu7axtbh.jpg

I never liked the amber turns. Clear ones would look better, so I'll swap them out.

Also, my Mustang's wiper motor is dead. I was going to drive it in to work, but remembered the wiper blades were shot and didn't want to drive it 100 miles with crappy blades. I put new ones on only to discover the wiper motor had crapped out :mad: so if weather permits I'll try to do that as well.

I want to put these in my Blazer,

51ZxaOri-PL._SX425_.jpg
Do those require a ballast, or adaptors to the factory harness?

I probably won't do anything else with mine.

D45F8639-9178-4AF4-912E-98537BA5B63E_zpsfptngmp3.jpg

I turned the park lights on and took another pic. One reason I changed over to these is I was concerned the factory lenses were dulled and clouded and the signal lamps not visible during daylight. These are a lot clearer, but also needed an amber bulb, so I guess I'll check tomorrow.

Ooh, that's a big improvement.

I may need those for the Blazer.

Installing them is super-easy. Pull the tabs that hold headlights in, remove the headlights, then pop the tab(s) that hold turn signal lenses in. Tool all of 5 minutes.

Do those require a ballast, or adaptors to the factory harness?

I probably won't do anything else with mine.

D45F8639-9178-4AF4-912E-98537BA5B63E_zpsfptngmp3.jpg

I turned the park lights on and took another pic. One reason I changed over to these is I was concerned the factory lenses were dulled and clouded and the signal lamps not visible during daylight. These are a lot clearer, but also needed an amber bulb, so I guess I'll check tomorrow.

I've looked at a couple of different sets. Most are plug and play some require minor wiring. One company's require wiring to the halos, anothers doesn't. They're about $120 a set.

Back