Another NSSAD

Bob411

thrumming with potential
Yamaha G100B212. That's what's stamped on the back of the amp. Front has Hundred B212. What the heck is the B for? I know they made a bass amp but, this is a guitar amp.

P1100038.JPG

They made a G100-212 and a G100B-212. The B version has two input channels with high and low inputs. The non-B version has only one channel.

More info and some specs on the B version here....

http://www.yamaholic.net/yamaha-archive/yamaha-guitar-bass/yamaha-amplifiers/yamaha-g100-b212/

and the plain G100-212 here...

http://www.yamaholic.net/yamaha-archive/yamaha-guitar-bass/yamaha-amplifiers/yamaha-g100-212/

Thanks for that. Most I could find, the people didn't know. One place said it was made for the Japanese market only. Strange the controls are labeled in English. :grin:

Balls? :tongue:

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

If you turn the distortion up all the way, it sounds like a fuzz pedal.

Distortion knob is weird. No gain knob, just distortion knob. ...and the distortion knob is like the power/volume knob on an old TV, or radio. Turn it all the way counter clockwise, and it clicks off.

Thanks for that. Most I could find, the people didn't know. One place said it was made for the Japanese market only. Strange the controls are labeled in English. :grin:

Yeah, that is crazy talk. These were sold in the US. I'm sure they also sold in Japan and elsewhere, as Yamaha is a huge global company.

They are supposed to be Yamaha's solid state take on the fender twin, with some added distortion. I remember hearing about these being big with country players back in the day as they are loud and super clean, just like a twin.

I don't really get the two channels thing, and trying to picture "4 guitars playing through one amp". Don't think previous owner got it either, all the pots on that side are scratchy. I don't think they got used much.

My Ampeg is sort of like this. It has two channels, both are clean. One has reverb, and tremolo, and the other doesn't.

I think the two input sides concept goes back to Leo Fender, who thought it would be a good way to run two guitars through one piece of gear...or perhaps a guitar and a bass. Since everything was clean back then, it didn't really matter what channel you used, and one got a cool vibrato and reverb. Channel switching wasn't something Leo thought any one would need, as the musicians would be plugged into the same thing all night just playing clean. Maybe it was to simply practice sessions, or maybe he thought it was a simple back line for a band. Who knows? Anyway, lots of people made amps this way back in the day, and reissues of the old models still do it.

I've played though one channel of a twin when another guitar player used the other channel. It works just fine. I've never seen anyone plug 4 guitars into an amp like that, so I can't say what would happen. I was under the impression that the high/lo inputs were set up that using one inactivated the other, but I really have no idea if that is correct, as I never tried using the low and hi inputs on the same channel at the same time. I guess it depends how it is wired. Does anyone know if you could run 4 instruments at the same time into something like that?

EDIT: A little googling suggests that you can use the high and lo at the same time on a twin, allowing you to theoretically plug 4 instruments into the same amp at the same time.

Last edited:
Now I need to find the AB pedal. Try it through a dirt pedal, and clean together.

Finally got around to digging out the Morley ABY.

First, I tried going into two channels. Didn't work too good. Volume knob on channel 2 became inoperative, but you could use the volume knob on channel 1 for both. My plan was to go direct into channel 1, and a dirt pedal into channel 2, and use the volumes on the amp to blend.

Thinking about HIAR's thread in the bass forum, I was curious about distortion, and loosing bass. It's crazy how much more bass there is when you add the clean. You can use the volume/level knob of the dirt pedal, to blend dirty vs. clean.

Tried the Rocktron Metal Planet, and the Analogman KOT. Tried the Metal Planet first, incase it blew up the pedal. :grin: I couldn't get much volume out of the amp, without feedback, with either pedal.

Is there a better ABY pedal, or another way to do this, without so much feedback?

Thinking about HIAR's thread in the bass forum, I was curious about distortion, and loosing bass. It's crazy how much more bass there is when you add the clean. You can use the volume/level knob of the dirt pedal, to blend dirty vs. clean.

Tried the Rocktron Metal Planet, and the Analogman KOT. Tried the Metal Planet first, incase it blew up the pedal. :grin: I couldn't get much volume out of the amp, without feedback, with either pedal.

Is there a better ABY pedal, or another way to do this, without so much feedback?

Interesting. I'll let you know what happens when my BOSS LS-2 shows up. I really don't know what to expect with dirt in the loop.

They made a G100-212 and a G100B-212. The B version has two input channels with high and low inputs. The non-B version has only one channel.

More info and some specs on the B version here....

http://www.yamaholic.net/yamaha-archive/yamaha-guitar-bass/yamaha-amplifiers/yamaha-g100-b212/

and the plain G100-212 here...

http://www.yamaholic.net/yamaha-archive/yamaha-guitar-bass/yamaha-amplifiers/yamaha-g100-212/

Was looking at a Polytone on cragslist, somehow ended up on a jazz forum taking about Yamahas and I dug up my NAD thread. Yamaholic links don't work. Do you remember anything to help me find them through Google?

Hey, did it show up yet? :grin:

Lol.

So I went with the LS2 setup in that band and it worked well. But what I found was I wanted one pedal instead of three, and ended up with an MXR Bass Distortion, which is a Fuzzrocious RAT with a turbo mode and clean blend. This past summer I switched to a DOD Boneshaker, but they both have their pros and cons.

Last edited:
Back