Another NPD

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member

I got a Dunlop Crybaby Mini to keep in my bag. Using the Mobius for my wah was a pain in the ass and I don't always use it but if I need it I can put it in front of my pedalboard and I can use it with either board if necessary.

My march towards being fully equipped is almost over. Still need a fuzz that I like.

Finding a good fuzz is really tough. I think they, above all other pedals, really interact with your pickups and amp so it's tough to find a great fuzz that works with your different guitars and amps.

Finding a good fuzz is really tough. I think they, above all other pedals, really interact with your pickups and amp so it's tough to find a great fuzz that works with your different guitars and amps.
For sure. I've never really had one I've liked that much.

For sure. I've never really had one I've liked that much.

Honestly, the fuzz I liked the most was a Chicago Stompworks Violet Rams Head. Obviously, it's a Muff clone, but it sounded great and was probably the cheapest fuzz I've ever owned. But Muff's aren't for everyone.

But Muff's aren't for everyone.

I can vouch for that. I knew a guy a long time ago who ran his Muff through a cheep transistor amp he bought at the PX. The thing sounded craptastic at best untill he blew out one of the amp's transistors. It never got loud after that, but I'll be damned if it didn't sound great. He ended up selling all his gear before he went overseas.

For my part, I tried to recreate some of that tone with a Muff running into my Peavey VT. Sounds like crap with my Strat! I still have both items, At this point they are probably close to 35 yrs old.

Back