Question: Another Impedance question

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
My SUhr Badger 30 has an 8 ohm speaker. I have a second cab with an 8 ohm speaker in it. Should I set the impedance selector on the amp to 4 ohms or leave it at 8 to run both cabs?

Can you call Suhr and ask them?

I would think that you WOULD put it on 4, but you may want to make sure you're not going to damage it.

Does the amp have an extension out jack? If so and your amp and cab are already set to 8 ohms, not necessary to change.

You can confirm like the others mentioned with Suhr.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/matching_speakers_to_amps.html

Sounds like it will be 4 ohms, if the amp has an output jack for an extension cab.

When I bought me EVH head a couple of years ago, the amp has a 4, 8, and 16 ohm switch. I believe a bunch of you forumites said it wouldn't really hurt anything if the impedance switch was set lower than what the speakers were, but you never want to set it higher? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Anyways, I found out my 2x12 cab was a 4 ohm cab, so I've always left the switch at 4 ohms.

It's always best to match. With that said, there is some tonal experimentation able to be done with mismatching impedance. I don't condone the mismatch though. It would make me a nervous wreck.

Back