Another Crazy Auroral Timelapse

aliensporebomb

Fretted instrument fan
I'm having the best luck this year capturing these things and the first part of the video I'm sharing here was taken literally just a short walk from my HQ:

The second segment was taken a day later about 200 miles north but the storm was fading out by that time - still cool though.

I'm using a combination of LRTImelapse and Lightroom to assemble the time lapse and the music was recorded here at the studio, basically guitar, keyboards and drumloops that seemed appropriate.

This storm was so strong it started while it was still daylight which is not normally the case. In fact, most of the exposures for this were 1-2 seconds long, so the action verges on real time because I didn't need to do long exposures to get this.

Cool.

It's something that you never forget seeing for the first time, and it's something that never gets old.

I think I've got some of my pics on my phone. Will return shortly.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Those are all shots from around my cabin in inland BC. I'm not a very good photographer; you can find far better shots in seconds with Google.

I've also got norther light pics from my 2nd trip to Iceland, but I'm not sure where they are. Will dig.

Red hat is my sister-in-law. The last two photos (no northern lights, boots on ice) were taken by my wife, as you may have guessed.

Really nice work guys. You should stop making me jealous that I haven't yet glimpsed an aurora. :grin:

I like Mrs. F's ice boots pics too! That's a crazed effect.

Since we're on this topic, APOD had a nice aurora pic today. I've seen more spectacular ones (including several in this thread) but the red proton arc is somewhat rare and kinda cool:

ProtonArc_Williams_960.jpg

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

"Explanation: The setting had been picked out -- all that was needed was an aurora. And late last August, forecasts predicted that an otherwise beautiful night sky would be lit up with auroral green. Jumping into his truck, the astrophotographer approached his secret site -- but only after a five hour drive across the rural Upper Peninsula of Michigan. What he didn't know was that his luck was just beginning. While setting up for the image, a proton arc -- a rare type of aurora -- appeared. The red arc lasted only about 15 minutes, but that was long enough to capture in a 30-second exposure. As the name indicates, proton arcs are caused not by electrons but by more massive protons that bombard the Earth's atmosphere following an energetic event on the Sun. In the featured image, the yellow lights on the horizon are the city lights of Marquette, Michigan, USA. The blue and yellow rocks in the Lake Superior foreground are lit by a LED flashlight. Also captured, to the left of the red proton arc, was the band of our Milky Way Galaxy."

Nice pics/video. I'm now far too far south to see Auroras and it's not dark enough either. If I saw one here it would likely be a very bad day for the earth :poke:

Update - revision two - I found a filter that let me kind of pare away at the brown light pollution that was suffusing the earlier revision of the video, it seems more like it actually was now:

Back