Another auroral timelapse from last weekend....

aliensporebomb

Fretted instrument fan
The unstabilized version (camera mount was loose unbeknownst to me, cam went flying off at the end!):

I managed to catch the cam before the thing hit the asphalt.

Semi-stabilized version:

Fully stabilized version:

Quirky issue: when you try and stabilize an aurora video in post, it crops the hell out of the image and super-overexposes the thing. It becomes an arty thing rather than realistic.

I'm not sure which of the 3 I like better but the most realistic as to how it looked with the naked eye is the unstabilized version.

The nitty gritty: timelapse was assembled in lightroom with lrtimelapse. The music was taken from a live performance of me with my guitar and loopers at Art-a-Whirl in Minneapolis in Spring of 2014.

Awesome, man! How does everybody not just drop what they're doing and go outside to watch? I was fortunate enough to see the Aurora once, when I was in Idaho. It was quite the event.

Yeah, Number one is the most accurate to naked eye. You see so many stills that are over enhanced. Most displays are pretty subtle. The really strong storms are sublime!!!

This storm in 1991 was incredible with a triple conjunction thrown in!

Last edited:
Also from 1991, aurora australis
Aurora-SpaceShuttle-EO.jpg

aurorarediss6.jpg

Yep. The coolest thing about it is that each one seems to be different. The St. Patrick's day storm was much stronger but this one had a lot of cool animation to it.

Back