And you thought your computer was out of date...

I've read quite a bit about the Antikythera Mechanism. It is an amazing piece of ancient technology.

I've read quite a bit about the Antikythera Mechanism. It is an amazing piece of ancient technology.

I've read about it before as well but this was the first time I heard anyone might have a clue as to its use.
Been doing a lot of reading on ancient Roman technology and it's pretty amazing some of the stuff they came up with given their limitations in math, tools and materials.
There was an old saying in the ancient world..."If you want to learn geometry, call a Greek. If you want to build a bridge, call a Roman." Lol.

So did they have some type of clock at this point in history? Or was everything measured on daily or longer increments?

I'm not well versed in the lingo, but does this mechanical device actually calculate anything (i.e. compute)? A mechanical clock isn't a computer, and this seems more clock-like to me. Still fascinating and exhibits an astonishing degree of mechanical and mathematical ability.

Back