And it begins!

It's going to be interesting to see what changes Gibson makes on their 2016 models. Also, prices on 2016 models.

Wouldn't you like it better if you sold it and then bought another one for a cheaper price?

If only... I would hit a Studio extremely hard; hell, even the LPM is pretty sweet. If those go for under 9 and 8, respectively, it's gonna be hard to pass up. Actually, CME has a new Studio listed as "used", for $850 right now. The guy there told me that it is new stock that they haven't been able to move due to the "improvements", and no one wants the brass nut above all :shrug:, so they have it listed as "used" to keep the Gibby Overlords off their backs. If it is still there in a few weeks, well...

I know that people don't want the wider neck, robo tuners, and adjustable nut, but I got used to them really fast. Once you get past those, the guitars are some of the best I've seen in years from Gibson QC-wise, and they easily rival the similarly-priced Fenders at this point.

If only... I would hit a Studio extremely hard; hell, even the LPM is pretty sweet. If those go for under 9 and 8, respectively, it's gonna be hard to pass up. Actually, CME has a new Studio listed as "used", for $850 right now. The guy there told me that it is new stock that they haven't been able to move due to the "improvements", and no one wants the brass nut above all :shrug:, so they have it listed as "used" to keep the Gibby Overlords off their backs. If it is still there in a few weeks, well...

I know that people don't want the wider neck, robo tuners, and adjustable nut, but I got used to them really fast. Once you get past those, the guitars are some of the best I've seen in years from Gibson QC-wise, and they easily rival the similarly-priced Fenders at this point.

i played a few 2015 Les Pauls earlier this year to see what i thought about the changes first-hand. the neck did initially feel a bit wider, but not in an inhibiting way, and i pretty much forgot about it after a minute or so of playing. the fit/finish on the three i had in hand were spot-on. no issues, no peel, no dye bleed. i thought the decal and new headstock aesthetics were cheesy. i don't appreciate the new finishes that look like Gibson is competing with PRS for king-gaudy. i almost never buy new guitars, but my experience with the new LP was positive.

MF still has 2014 Gibsons for less than these. I think 2015 Gibsons are going to hang in stores for years like those SG and LP Melody Makers did.

I have 1 2015. I don't find the neck to be a deal breaker to me.
It's different, but not bad.

As for the nut, call Gibson CS and they will send you a replacement nut/fret in a harder treated material. They realized that the brass zero fret was a bad material choice.
I'll still stand by the comment that 2015 QA is head and shoulders better than the past. Neck shape is all preference. Shoddy build was a whole other issue.

I was hoping for a Music Man deal thread.
AX4-TBK2.png

i played a few 2015 Les Pauls earlier this year to see what i thought about the changes first-hand. the neck did initially feel a bit wider, but not in an inhibiting way, and i pretty much forgot about it after a minute or so of playing. the fit/finish on the three i had in hand were spot-on. no issues, no peel, no dye bleed. i thought the decal and new headstock aesthetics were cheesy. i don't appreciate the new finishes that look like Gibson is competing with PRS for king-gaudy. i almost never buy new guitars, but my experience with the new LP was positive.
I was the opposite as far as neck feel. It didn't bother me as much initially but as I continued to play my hand started to cramp. Wide, flat necks aren't comfortable for me. I tend to prefer narrow nuts with a bit of back chunk.

I agree that feature combinations are pure preference; and am curious about the perception that QC has improved (I always thought that poor QC can be countered by auditioning guitars, e.g., buying in-person).

Then, I looked at the 'special closeout' prices and thought I must be high. Because the prices are insane. I mean INSANE. $4k for a Les Paul? $1,100 for a Studio? $1,600 for a standard SG?

I don't know where my perspective has been misshaped, but here are some recent purchases I've made (and dates of purchase in parentheses):
* Gibson SG Special Faded, $484 (Summer, 2013, local mom and pop)
* Gibson Les Paul 50's Tribute Studio, used $600 (Early 2013 MGR)
* Fender American Standard Strat, $900 (Summer 2012 local mom and pop)
* Fender American Standard Strat, $795 (Summer 2012 Hello Music)

The going 'rate' for a used American Strat around northern New Mexico these days is $600-1200 (ranging from Standard to Deluxe to Clapton / Johnson models). Standard & Deluxe Les Pauls are $1,000-1,800, and don't sell quickly or well. And at local dealers, you can get a new, good LP for $2k-ish.

What the hell?

I agree that feature combinations are pure preference; and am curious about the perception that QC has improved (I always thought that poor QC can be countered by auditioning guitars, e.g., buying in-person).

Then, I looked at the 'special closeout' prices and thought I must be high. Because the prices are insane. I mean INSANE. $4k for a Les Paul? $1,100 for a Studio? $1,600 for a standard SG?

I don't know where my perspective has been misshaped, but here are some recent purchases I've made (and dates of purchase in parentheses):
* Gibson SG Special Faded, $484 (Summer, 2013, local mom and pop)
* Gibson Les Paul 50's Tribute Studio, used $600 (Early 2013 MGR)
* Fender American Standard Strat, $900 (Summer 2012 local mom and pop)
* Fender American Standard Strat, $795 (Summer 2012 Hello Music)

The going 'rate' for a used American Strat around northern New Mexico these days is $600-1200 (ranging from Standard to Deluxe to Clapton / Johnson models). Standard & Deluxe Les Pauls are $1,000-1,800, and don't sell quickly or well. And at local dealers, you can get a new, good LP for $2k-ish.

What the hell?

new Gibson (among other brands) prices are generally excessive and have been for at least a few years now, in my opinion. But i can't imagine paying anything close to retail when the used market is flooded with gear (Gibson and otherwise). that said, it would seem to me like there are a bunch of sellers who either way over-paid and are trying to sell high to recoup some of their money or are bat-shit crazy (or both) because the used Gibson market is largely insane as well in terms of asking prices. patience prevails (as you have indicated) and rational prices can be found by those who wait and watch.

Agreeance. I just ... am incredulous at the changes in new, retail pricing. I thought LP's were a 2-3k purchase, not 3-5k (which they are apparently are these days).

I have a 2014 studio pro and I love it. I consider it a bargain. This years crop dont sound so hot from comments here.

Back