And I thought I was rough on my pedals...

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
10402447_10152528895028167_3015441761237974147_n.jpg

I had an Ibanez pedal back in the late 80's that I wanted to do that to. It was silver, I don't remember what it was called, but it sucked so hard I wanted to smash it.

I've seen this happen. It's one of the reasons I only use pedals that come in metal cases.

Thats a Tube Screamer. It comes in a metal case :grin:

You know, the way it shattered looks more like plastic than metal. I would expect the knobs to be crushed and the case to dent rather than shatter. Plus the metal cases from that era of Ibanez are crazy tough.

You know, the way it shattered looks more like plastic than metal. I would expect the knobs to be crushed and the case to dent rather than shatter. Plus the metal cases from that era of Ibanez are crazy tough.

Agreed. I bet they made a cheaper plastic version for a while... or that "metal" case is made out of some cheap ass pot metal shit.

Edit: Just looked at a website listing all the Ibanez variations...

TS5 - The 5 series (Soundtank) replaced the 10 series pedals in 1989 and were produced until 1999. These were cheaply made pedals in a plastic case. The circuitry is again different from the TS9 pedal and either used the JRC4558D or the cheap TA7558P chip. The plastic case is prone to noise due to the pedal not being shielded properly.

Agreed. I bet they made a cheaper plastic version for a while... or that "metal" case is made out of some cheap ass pot metal shit.

The metal is very rigid as compared to the pedal boxes of today.

Those looked like this though:

TS5.jpg

Pretty hard to shatter metal like that...maybe Aluminum (not sure) but not steel...unless you use liquid Nitrogen then it's a piece of cake

Back