Amps with tube reverb.... taylor your reverb sound.

baimun

Funkasaurus Rex
On a previous Orange Rockerverb I owned, the reverb was very present, even with just a touch of the knob... I put a lower gain 12AT7 in it to cut the gain of the reverb down so I needed to turn the knob up higher to get the same effect.

That particular one I had to sell... but I missed having an RV50 so I bought another one a few months later.

This one the reverb had a 12AX7 in its reverb spot but was softer and not as lush sounding. I used this chart to determine I had a 12AX7WA-SOVT in the reverb spot (the middle spot of the middle row, closest to the center two power tubes).

http://www.tubesandmore.com/tech_corner/12ax7_comparison_of_current_made_tubes

I had an assortment of tubes, so I looked through what I had and settled on a 12AX7LPS-SOVT. Had I used a 12AX7WB-SOVT it would have been really strong and I would have needed to be touchier with the reverb amount (like my earlier one), but the LPS-SOVT is a smooth, medium gain and it worked out perfectly. I dial up the reverb knob to 10:embarrassed:0 or so and it's clear and not muddy sounding (I play Reggae and Funk).

Give it a try on your other tube-reverb equipped amps. :helper:

RV10050labeledtop.jpg

When I first started playing I wanted reverb on my amps. Then the rack era came in the 80's and the need for reverb went out the window - loved using delay as needed. For the last 25+ years the amps I use have no reverb. If I need reverb it is through a pedal and only when necessary.

I dig the reverb on my Allen. But it makes complete sense. Just like changing the first preamp tube to better suit your tastes.

When I first started playing I wanted reverb on my amps. Then the rack era came in the 80's and the need for reverb went out the window - loved using delay as needed. For the last 25+ years the amps I use have no reverb. If I need reverb it is through a pedal and only when necessary.

It's funny, every time I ever used delay, it was always bamp...bamp...bamp... but I never used the quick bampbamp kind of reverb-ish slapback until recently. I can see how it gives a reverb like quality but is less washy live. There's a very strong likelihood that I'll start using that kind of delay with no reverb for live and only use the reverb in the studio.

It's funny, every time I ever used delay, it was always bamp...bamp...bamp... but I never used the quick bampbamp kind of reverb-ish slapback until recently. I can see how it gives a reverb like quality but is less washy live. There's a very strong likelihood that I'll start using that kind of delay with no reverb for live and only use the reverb in the studio.

catalinbread-echorec-2.jpg

It took me a while to get used to no reverb but once I did, the signal is oh so sweet less reverb. Beautiful tones that are unadulterated. Now add in some effects and you then change the ambience of the sound - oh so sweet and now you have different textures with different colors.

I dig the reverb on my Allen. But it makes complete sense. Just like changing the first preamp tube to better suit your tastes.

First preamp tube as well as the 2nd - the tone stack. I love going with a lower gain tube here (5751M) as the lower gain allows the tone section more flexibility and variations.

I may be one of very few that can't stand guitar amp reverbs in general. If needed I'll use the verb on the G Major instead, but mostly I prefer using delay. :embarrassed:

try 12au7 as the reverb send/driver you'll get more control.

my twin reverb with 12at7 as per schematic I can only use it from 1-2 and then its overkill.
with a 12au7 i get a bigger sweep of the knob, so I have to turn it up higher to get the same amount of verb.
makes it less a PITA to dial in.

with the 12at7 unless youre in a Lively Ones cover band or your name is Jim Campilongo
there is way too much verb after the first 20% turn of the knob.

I like just a little bit, just enough to give it some ambiance. juts not dead dry really.
Its salt-n-peppa :not the whole damn meal!

One should note that in the traditional Fender amp reverb circuit, you can only use 12AT7 and 12AU7 tubes, 12AX7, 12AY7, and 5751 tubes will burn out trying to pass the current demanded by the design.

Back