Amp shopping.

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I've been in need of a good small combo amp for a while... my Deluxe reverb (even when fixed) is just not very reliable anymore. My Suhr badger 30 handles low volume gigs very well but sometimes its too large for some of the smaller spaces I get stuck being shoehorned into. I need a 1x12 combo amp that has the headroom to play decent sized gigs but can also be quieter too. I am on the hunt for a Holland Lil Jimi like @telecaster911 has. I played it at Pragestock last year and it would be perfect for me but they are rare and hard to find. There is one on eBay but the seller won't answer any questions. EDIT: Apparent he sold it.

I did try a few Vox AC15's at GC this weekend, which would fit my budget but I don't think the EL84 sound is for me. I might go back with my own guitar though. They had three of them in the store. #1 I think is the base model with a Greenback in it for $599. #2 had red tolex and an upgraded speaker for $649 and #3 was used for $399 but sounded like complete shit.

Maybe I'll buy one this weekend since I have a "living room" gig on Saturday and see what it sounds like. If I hate it I guess I can return it. :embarrassed:

When you go back, try diming the bass, then use the treble like a tone control. Dime the master and try using the pre as the volume.

Used Princeton Reverb Reissue? The originals might serve you better but probably more than what you want to spend. After playing the Suhr you have been spoiled so any budget amp is going to sound pretty poor in comparison.

Egnater Tweaker 15, perhaps? 6V6, and some GCs have them for $399 on clearance.

FWIW, the AC15C1 I had was good, but after awhile two things lind of bothered me: 1) it was hummy/noisy as hell - maybe new tubes would have helped, and 2) after awhile, I was actually bothered by the "Voxyness" of it - IMO, just too much "character". I guess I prefer what IMO is a more natural and organic sound.

I just picked up a Peavey Classic 30 from the recent AMS deal, and so far, I love it - brings out the sound of the guitar without too much added color, plus the OD channel is damn good. :cool: My Strat plays really nice with it, and the Samick semi-hollow sounds really warm and round in a good way.

Last edited:
Peavey Classic 30
Most people seem to love this amp, and it's always going for not too much cash.

My suggestion would be a Traynor YCV20. Fucking amazing amps, built like tanks in Canada, and can be had for a steal on the used market.

ycv20wr-e4fc809dab6db449f33008926f889e65.jpg

I suggested the Corso before with a Power Engine cab, but I seem to remember Mark not wanting to haul that extra bit out.

I have a Kustom '36 Coupe that I absolutely love and seems like it could fit your requirements. You have to find one used, but they tend to pop up on Guitar Center's used site for around $300.

USA made, 1x12, 36 watts (two 6L6GC tubes), two channels, reverb with tone and level control, "pull-bright" function with the volume knob on both channels that tightens up the low end for more of a "British" flavor, built-in footswitchable boost of up to 10db that you adjust on the back of the amp. It was designed by the same guy who designed the Peavey Classic series. Tone-wise it's basically a blackface Fender on the clean channel (but it has a mid control, so you can also dial out the Fender "scooped mids" tone if you want), and then you get a pretty convincing overdriven Vox AC-15/30 type tone on the lead channel with the pull-bright function enabled.

The only weak spot, IMHO, is the speaker, which has too much top-end sizzle on the lead channel. It's a special design Eminence with an aluminum dust cap, which explains why that sizzle is there. I swapped it out for a WGS G12C/S and it tamed that sizzle.

Have you tried the silver face reissue deluxe reverb? I don't know how it compares to the original, but you like your other one, it just isn't reliable.

Have you tried the silver face reissue deluxe reverb? I don't know how it compares to the original, but you like your other one, it just isn't reliable.
They didn't have one in the store this weekend but I remember digging it at NAMM. Another contender has entered the ring :embarrassed:

Used Princeton Reverb Reissue? The originals might serve you better but probably more than what you want to spend. After playing the Suhr you have been spoiled so any budget amp is going to sound pretty poor in comparison.
The Princeton might be a smidge underpowered for what I need although I'd love to own one just for GP's.

And I'm done owning vintage amps for a long time. Amps from the era I love are old and tired to the point where I don't like relying on them for gigs.

dsl.jpg

I cant say enough about how GREAT my DSL 40C is! it's 40 watts,but can be dropped to 20 watts.it has a pair of EL34 in the power section and takes pedals very well. its a 1x12 combo

Attachments

• dsl.jpg
    dsl.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 45
Back