Amp GAS....Fender Super Champ

Modern Saint

Starve your Fear, Feed your Dream!
Not going to happen...

Came across a used Fender Super Champ yesterday. Wanted one way back when but after researching it, I am going to pass. While they are great, I don't want to search for 6C10 tubes.

It is the same way I thought about the old Ampegs that used the 6C10 and/or 6C11's

Have any of you viewed an amp that way?

This would be an original Rivera era Super Champ. They used a 6C10 triode tube. They were like a 12Ax7 on steroids.
really? when did they make them. when i search for 'super champ', the only returns i get (including wiki) are the X2 types.

really? when did they make them. when i search for 'super champ', the only returns i get (including wiki) are the X2 types.

As DD said, early 80's, Rivera period. I owned a Champ II - great amp but sold it later as I didn't need it at the time.

riveraseriesphoto.jpg

http://www.stratopastor.org.uk/strato/amps/twoseriesfenders/twoseriesfenders.html

I use my 84 Supe Champ all the time. Still has the original 6C10 as far as I know. Haven't had any problems yet. Knock on wood. But I'm keeping my eye out for NOS tubes all the time. I do love that amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not going to happen...

Came across a used Fender Super Champ yesterday. Wanted one way back when but after researching it, I am going to pass. While they are great, I don't want to search for 6C10 tubes.

It is the same way I thought about the old Ampegs that used the 6C10 and/or 6C11's

Have any of you viewed an amp that way?

Fast forward one month: I came across a shit load of 6C10 tubes yesterday. Probably over 100. Guy only wanted 10 bucks.

It was like a Princeton Reverb with a OD/boost. The have a strong cult following. My old teacher used one almost exclusively. I, personally, think the OD is very "buzzy." But it was a lot of amp build into a small package....handwired...18 watts...1x10...tube reverb...OD.

http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/champ_super.html

Last edited:
Back