Question: Amp dilemma

mrhoyo

Multimeh
I have a Marshall DSL401 which hardly ever gets past 2 on the volume knob and I'm thinking with replacing it with something small like the Yamaha my teacher uses. Any better suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I have multiple 100 watters for band practices and gigs but I really love my hotone heart attack for playing at home.

I just googled Marshall DSL401 to see what they look like. Over at the right-hand side of my screen, under 'Shop Now' are: Sweetwater $699, Guitar Center $699, Sam Ash $699, Sears $699…

Sears?!?!

Sears sell Marshall amps now? messedup0

Back to the OP, maybe look at getting a tube amp that you can select the wattage (i.e. lower the wattage). Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 36, the Laney Ironheart series, Carvin V3m to name a few.

If you like the amp and it is just too loud, buy a Juice Box. It is an attenuator you put between the amp and speaker. I got one for my amp and love it.

If you like the amp and it is just too loud, buy a Juice Box. It is an attenuator you put between the amp and speaker. I got one for my amp and love it.
I've Googled and I'm no wiser. Can you post a link?

It doesn't really sound of anything. I know that's an odd thing to say but none of the channels have any presence if that makes sense?

Sure, but it doesn't tell us what you're looking for so we can make suggestions.

Sure, but it doesn't tell us what you're looking for so we can make suggestions.
I'd like something that sounds reasonable at low volumes. The Marshall only really sounded good turned up to 8 or so- that was fine when I was gigging and had a practice room but now I have a spare bedroom and neighbours.
I like the Yamaha because it's pretty tight and punchy sounding plus has a few nice features and won't cost a fortune. I'd like to know if there's something better for the size/price?
I'm way out of any kind of music scene now so I don't really know what's good and what's not.

I'd like something that sounds reasonable at low volumes. The Marshall only really sounded good turned up to 8 or so- that was fine when I was gigging and had a practice room but now I have a spare bedroom and neighbours.
I like the Yamaha because it's pretty tight and punchy sounding plus has a few nice features and won't cost a fortune. I'd like to know if there's something better for the size/price?
I'm way out of any kind of music scene now so I don't really know what's good and what's not.

Which Yamaha? How much do you want to spend?

I believe SS and/or modeling are the way to go for bedroom volumes. For a practice amp, it's really, really hard to beat the Yamaha THR10 series. There is nothing I would recommend over it for versatility. If you had a specific music need, there may be something else to recommend, but I'm a HUGE fan of Yamaha's modeling.

Do you think you'll have need for the DSL in the future. Will selling it ultimately be a false bargain if you need/decide to replace with another gigging amp? In short, are you positive you wish to part with it (I part with a lot of amps, usually I know when it's time to move on).

I believe SS and/or modeling are the way to go for bedroom volumes. For a practice amp, it's really, really hard to beat the Yamaha THR10 series. There is nothing I would recommend over it for versatility. If you had a specific music need, there may be something else to recommend, but I'm a HUGE fan of Yamaha's modeling.

Do you think you'll have need for the DSL in the future. Will selling it ultimately be a false bargain if you need/decide to replace with another gigging amp? In short, are you positive you wish to part with it (I part with a lot of amps, usually I know when it's time to move on).
I have a THR10 at home and it works well or the low volume practicing. I usually just leave mine on the clean sound though...I never realy mess with the dirty models.

I have a THR10 at home and it works well or the low volume practicing. I usually just leave mine on the clean sound though...I never realy mess with the dirty models.
That's the amp my teacher brings around for my lessons. It's really punchy at the lower volumes compared to the DSL and has a few fancy inputs and outputs plus modification software.

Had to Google it, now assume you're joking.

I am not joking. Great amp with a master volume that sounds killer at tv volume. I have owned 2 of them. Toanz for days.

I'm not advanced enough to have any specific needs so that's not a problem. I haven't gigged since school and it will be a while before I'do feel good enough to gig now - assuming I could even find other musicians in the area. If I did then the DSL would be helpful and I'm not against keeping it but I would like to improve the low volume sound if it stays.

Back