Amp died on gig last night. Yay.

Not exactly. Like jp said, tube amps usually reference the point at which the amp distorts and solid state is the total. When I plug my ac-15 or my monkeymatic (15 watt tube amp) into my 2x12 cab, then plug my JC-55 into the same cab, both of the 15 watters are much louder than the 55. It isn't even close.
True, but most of the time modern amps are run with their power sections clean and thus under the rated wattage while distortion is from the preamp section.

And... Monkeymatic?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Watt's this ?! Does not one of us have compassion for Mark's loss? It is a sad day in the Weinerdom when we cannot get behind Mark and say "we're here behind you".

True, but most of the time modern amps are run with their power sections clean and thus under the rated wattage while distortion is from the preamp section.

And... Monkeymatic?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Custom built Princeton clone.

Our last several shows, i've had a bug of some kind rolling through my pedal board, which has me shorting out at inopportune times throughout the night. I think I've got it figured, but only after replacing multiple pieces and testing every single component. This part is no fun.

Regarding real use wattage, my Atomic 16 is rated as being somewhere around 22-25 depending on tube age. It is damn loud.

My father-in-aw yesterday reminded me of the fact that the amp has a few eternal fuses to check. I'm hoping that will be the issue. We'll see when I get into work.

Wow, amp dying on the gig = no fun.

I was asked to play an ambient spacey gig for a group of gals that was doing an outdoor bazaar so I would be providing a sort of background music and they were providing a stereo PA - turns out something blew in the PA before I even got there so one side was dead and the other was thin and crackly. Someone played before I did and the thing was fine so it decided to give up the ghost after they played their last note or something.

I had a pair of computer speakers with a subwoofer in my car that just happened to be there so I had to do the gig with that. It actually worked better than the PA but boy that was nerve wracking. I felt bad for the guy who had to play after me as that PA was progressively dying more as the afternoon wore on.

That EH 44 watt deal seems like it would be a good deal. If you had two of them you could get 80+ watts in stereo.

Get some 1x12" cabs or a 2x12 and go to town.

Also, I might look for one of these to keep in my pedalboard; http://amzn.to/1nuLErl
I was just going to order one of these and then I saw this disclaimer:

Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 7.20.50 AM.png

:lol:

Maybe one of those Crate Power Bricks. I know they stopped making them because of the kerfuffle with the solder used (it wasn't lead free) but you can still find them. That would work in a pinch and you could keep it in a box in the back of your car or something and test it every few months to make sure it works.

I read some reviews about the EH unit and lots of people were raving about it more than a few said it seemed to be plagued with an ever present hiss that even when no signal was present you'd get this system noise hiss thing happening. Well my regular amps does that too (JC120) but...

Last edited:
Maybe one of those Crate Power Bricks. I know they stopped making them because of the kerfuffle with the solder used (it wasn't lead free) but you can still find them. That would work in a pinch and you could keep it in a box in the back of your car or something and test it every few months to make sure it works.

I read some reviews about the EH unit and lots of people were raving about it more than a few said it seemed to be plagued with an ever present hiss that even when no signal was present you'd get this system noise hiss thing happening. Well my regular amps does that too (JC120) but...
I ordered the EHX today. I can always send it back it it's too much of an issue. Honestly it's like a spare tire on a car. Just needs to get me where I'm going in case of an emergency.

Any luck with checking the fuses? You could always nab any one of the 15 watt compact heads, and plug it into the speaker in your combo if the amp failed. You can pick them up for pretty cheap used.

Any luck with checking the fuses? You could always nab any one of the 15 watt compact heads, and plug it into the speaker in your combo if the amp failed. You can pick them up for pretty cheap used.
I'll be at work in about an hour and I'll check then.

Part of the appeal of the ehx pedal is that it will fit in my bag and not take any effort or space to have with me all the time. I already bring a 70lb combo amp, pedalboard and PA gear to every gig. I'm not looking to drag an extra amp head everywhere if I can help it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll be at work in about an hour and I'll check then.

Part of the appeal of the ehx pedal is that it will fit in my bag and not take any effort or space to have with me all the time. I already bring a 70lb combo amp, pedalboard and PA gear to every gig. I'm not looking to drag an extra amp head everywhere if I can help it.

I get that. Those little lunchbox sized amps are small and light. I kept a spare head in my trunk all the time. I never took it in the venue, just left it in the trunk. I think I even left it trunk all the time. I never needed it, but it was always in the parking lot.

I get that. Those little lunchbox sized amps are small and light. I kept a spare head in my trunk all the time. I never took it in the venue, just left it in the trunk. I think I even left it trunk all the time. I never needed it, but it was always in the parking lot.
I drive an SUV so the thing would be rolling around inviting people to break into my car. Unfortunately I'll always need to drive something like this since I need to haul so much stuff on occasion. If the EHX proves to be a piece of junk I'll look into something else I guess....

@Mark Wein What's the status of the Badger? Alive and kicking or roadkill?
Still no signal. One tube does not light up and is cloudy looking (I'm just peering through the top vent). I'm wondering if a few drops of ice water caused the glass to crack and lose its vacuum.

Back