AM Radio

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
From 9:embarrassed:0 to 4:embarrassed:0 my local PBS FM station plays classical music; I prefer news shows. So I started listening to their AM station for news. The trouble is that I cannot get that station near home, only as I get closer to the school. Scanning the AM dial I came across a local oldies station that is really neat. They play 50's and 60's music, and go way beyond the usual suspects. I've heard stuff like "Must to Avoid" by Herman's Hermits, stuff by Dino, Desi, and Billy, "I'll Cry Instead" by the Beatles, and rare cuts by other artists. Oh, they play some clunkers; this morning it was "Indiana Wants Me". All in all, though, I get some great memories that haven't been overplayed. I'm glad I found this station.

The only radio I have is in my car. I don’t actually know how it works because I have an old iPod plugged into that stereo.

How old ARE you?:eek:
:helper:
The 50's stuff is kinda before my time (being born in 51), though my mother listened to some of it. The 60's stuff, however, is right at the time I started choosing what I wanted to listen to. The first single I bought was Tell Her No by the Zombies, and my first LP was this:
images

It was all pretty much AM radio in those early days.
The only radio I have is in my car. I don’t actually know how it works because I have an old iPod plugged into that stereo.
I only listen to radio in the car, though I sometimes will play CD's as well.

We have a local station that does local news/traffic/weather/Rockies Baseball that I listen to on occasion. And the local NPR station has a indie music station that is on the AM that plays a huge variety of music (they also have separate 24 hr classical and 24 hr news stations).

I can't remember the last time I listened to AM radio. In Nashville, there's a new station playing 60's music calling itself Hippie Radio. I love it, but it's lower powered, and I'm right on the fringe of it's range.

I mostly listen to Sports Talk or the News on AM.

FM it is Blues, Jazz, Swing and the Crooners.

I can't remember the last time I listened to AM radio. In Nashville, there's a new station playing 60's music calling itself Hippie Radio. I love it, but it's lower powered, and I'm right on the fringe of it's range.

There used to be a poster on one of the now defunct guitar sites whose name was Hippie DJ. I wonder if there is a connection.

I find that I listen to so much music at home,when I'm in my car or at work,I listen to AM talk radio..

Most of the younger generation at work don't get it but maybe it's a throwback to when my Dad and I used to listen to hockey games on the radio...

That being said....The topic has to be interesting for me to pay close attention...

I used to really be into old Country music for a while. There is a station that plays from the 40's to 1990 Country. Lots of good stuff. It just got to be so many commercials I gave up. Three songs then a commercial (and these are 2 to 3 minute songs!). Then couple songs then the farm report or local happenings. To much yapping too little music.

I don't think my tuner has left the local NPR news station since I moved back to California. And I'm pretty sure it never left the Seattle one while I was up there.

AM radio always reminds me of Seals and Crofts, and 3 Dog Night and the like. Once I discovered there was an FM dial, there was no going back.

Except for Seattle Supersonics, Seahawks, and UW Husky sports broadcasts.

Well, there is spotty data coverage where I drive, whereas a fairly decent radio station or two (FM, not AM) comes through.

they're just now putting wireless service into the subways. But it's only in stations so you can't really get it on the train because it's in and out. A Google Play or Beats account keeps the new music flowing because I can download it. No static at all.

AM radio brings feelings of nostalgia for us older radio geeks. Sadly, AM is now mostly talk/religious content. You can still find some good stations though mostly run by smaller broadcasting companies running lower power.

Amplitude Modulation propagates much better at night. I remember being able to hear WLS Chicago late at night on my little AM/shortwave radio when I was a kid.

6 months ago, the key for my van broke off in the ignition. It still works to start it but, I can't turn it the other way to accessory. Before that, every day, I'd eat my lunch, and listen to Rush Limbaugh, and the liberal station. Only other talk radio I listen to when I'm driving is the sports stations, but only during football season.

Chicago stations kinda come in down here. Not good enough to crank it if a good song comes on. I'm left with CDs, and local radio. 2 months ago, CD player stopped ejecting. You can only listen to Green Grass and high Tides so many times.

I'm down to the local station. They don't play a lot of good music. I think their target is somebody in an office that wants background noise. Every now, and then, they play something good. Once a month, they play Manfred Mann's Blinded By the Light, but they play the AM version. There is no awesome guitar solo in the middle. So, once a month, I scream at the radio, Play the fucking FM version. You're an FM station you fucking morons.

Back