All the Accidents California's Driverless Cars Got in by Being Too Good at Driving

Makes sense to me. Boulder is full of hyper cautious and polite midwestern drivers who drive like they’re in a town that only has one stop light to direct trucks into the grain silo. They’re regarded as a menace by those of us who came from the coasts where psychopathic driving is normal.

So in order to avoid further accidents, they need to program the cars to drive like assholes?

Makes sense.

I can't wait for my first experience of angrily flipping the bird at a car with no one in it. Fanfuckingtastic.

After living in California for most of my life, I fully understand the issues of an overly cautious car being in the mix.

The problem with computer controlled cars is that it needs to be all computer controlled cars, and really they should all be running the same algorithm. On the one hand it's a great idea, and certainly better from a safety standpoint - on the other, a lot of people won't give up the ability to drive.

And Skynet. We musn't forget Skynet.

Welcome to my commuting nightmare. I work in Mountain View, home of Googles driverless car program, and deal with these monstrosities every single afternoon. Now keep in mind that at this point, NONE of these are actually driverless. They hire people to ride along in the drivers seat just in case something goes wrong. That said, they are WAY to cautious, and are essentially rolling traffic hazards. I'd much rather be behind a blue hair in a Prius (my second worst nightmare) than one of these...

IMG_20150522_164231.jpg

There are literally hundreds of them out there, tooling along at a breakneck 25 MPH. They need to at least upgrade the software to run a minimum of 20% over the posted limit just to keep in the nominal traffic flow.

The problem with computer controlled cars is that it needs to be all computer controlled cars, and really they should all be running the same algorithm. On the one hand it's a great idea, and certainly better from a safety standpoint - on the other, a lot of people won't give up the ability to drive.

That is indeed the problem, and why they are ultimately doomed. Or we are.

I cannot imagine a world where I give up my control and commute how google thinks is best. Fuck that. And I work for them.

That is indeed the problem, and why they are ultimately doomed. Or we are.

I cannot imagine a world where I give up my control and commute how google thinks is best. Fuck that. And I work for them.

I could see having a commuter driverless car, and then a regular weekend car, but that runs into the aforementioned conflict. Unless! Driverless cars fly a la Jetsons. Then regular people could drive on the ground and the driverless cars could zip around in the 15-200' airspace :idea:

I could see having a commuter driverless car, and then a regular weekend car, but that runs into the aforementioned conflict. Unless! Driverless cars fly a la Jetsons. Then regular people could drive on the ground and the driverless cars could zip around in the 15-200' airspace :idea:

I'll take the drive/fly hybrid so I can jump over slow moving traffic then carve up the twisted asphalt of HWY 9

And I really like to drive, and also, Idaho is off the grid in many areas as far as cell coverage and what not, so unless it is stand-alone or satellite based, I don't think it will work here.

Don't worry, we are working on satellite based internet service for 3rd world countries. And Idaho.

Don't worry, we are working on satellite based internet service for 3rd world countries. And Idaho.
It is why the f**King new style iTunes, Amazoncloud, googlemusic whatever it is, etc. cloud based music services piss me off. I bought a big capacity phone because I want to carry all my music I want, as I don't want to have to stream it from your damn cloud. (not you 335, you know what I mean). And many times, I cannot stream. So when I sync my phone, I expect the music I selected to be actually on my phone. Also, I would like the program to make it easy to access and control my music, rather than route me to a damn internet station. And this cloud stuff still makes me nervous. What with Google driveageddon and all. :wink: http://www.computerworld.com/articl...re-why-i-m-typing-this-in-microsoft-word.html

Plus, I am still a manual transmission guy, and can't stand having other people drive. Not thinking I will be to keen on some app driving for me.

I think driverless cars are going to be a localized phenomena for the first few decades. There are lots of places where traffic isn’t bad enough to make people give up driving. Especially in the USA. But big cities all over the world will outlaw driving and switch to on-demand self-driving cars to clean up their traffic nightmares. I wouldn’t be surprised if China and India integrate self-driving vehicles into all the cities they build because it will be cheaper and easier than dealing with drivers and parking. And old cities never meant for cars like Rome and Paris will probably make the switch because everybody hates driving there anyway.

Back