GPOTD Alexander James Guitars

We need Howie to give this talented young man the "gold hardware" talk.

I see where you’re coming from. But the gold hardware often works well with the wood and finishes he’s using. It’s not like he’s slapping that shit on red quilted maple with green abalone bindings.

Honestly I don't get the universal hatred of gold. On the right guitars it looks great.

Because most of the time it’s used on the wrong guitars. Starting with that awful black and gold Gibson Les Paul custom design that refuses to die. Would anybody wear a gold shirt and cummerbund with a black tux? Only if he’s a pimp. Carry this forward to the frightful quilted top red, abalone, and gold crap coming out of South Asia and gold hardware evokes instinctive shudders akin to the revulsion brought on by cockroaches.

And in western cultures gold has become a signifier of low-class douchebags trying to impress people with tasteless bling. Can’t afford to replace your muffler with the gaping hole in it? No problem, you can impress the ladies by wearing this eighteen-karat herringbone rope to the gym! Make sure to accent it with Old Spice body spray and a tank top.

Because most of the time it’s used on the wrong guitars. Starting with that awful black and gold Gibson Les Paul custom design that refuses to die. Would anybody wear a gold shirt and cummerbund with a black tux? Only if he’s a pimp. Carry this forward to the frightful quilted top red, abalone, and gold crap coming out of South Asia and gold hardware evokes instinctive shudders akin to the revulsion brought on by cockroaches.

And in western cultures gold has become a signifier of low-class douchebags trying to impress people with tasteless bling. Can’t afford to replace your muffler with the gaping hole in it? No problem, you can impress the ladies by wearing this eighteen-karat herringbone rope to the gym! Make sure to accent it with Old Spice body spray and a tank top.

tumblr_ltn73dlDYx1qbrwtf.gif

Very nice guitars.

Honestly I don't get the universal hatred of gold. On the right guitars it looks great.

I'm with you on this one, it is down to the individual guitar. 3 of the 11 guitars in my possession have gold hardware and all look fine with it. The others would look decidedly wrong.

Back