Albums that really really grew on you.

Flamencology

You don't deserve koa.
Albums that you didn't really understand at first, but now consider absolutely brilliant.

I will start.

image.jpeg

The last few Coltrane albums.

My dad listened to a lot of jazz when I was a kid so I always had some level of joy and appreciation for it, and it's probably about a third of what I listen to these days, but some of those later 60's albums can be uh "difficult".

I still prefer my jazz let us say a little more traditional. But with some dedicated listening, and honestly some herbal enhancement *cough* I've grown to appreciate them. I won't listen to them nearly as often as his earlier stuff, but they still get a spin every few years.

Last edited:
Pink Floyd The Wall.

I thought I understood it. Learned everything on that album. Saw the movie 20 times.

Then I read their autobiography and was told by them how the album started and what it was all about. I was terrified and amazed.

I tried with that one. It never grew on me. Maybe I didn't fertilize it enough. :shrug:

Pink Floyd The Wall.

I'm the opposite on that one. I was in college when that came out and my room mate was a huge Floyd fan. I think he brought it home the day it was released. We listened to it a lot for the first few weeks. Then it started getting played on the radio way too much. To this day, I immediately change the station if it comes on. Sad really, because it is a brilliant album. I just can't stand to hear it anymore.

Really?! because that record plays like Jeff's easy listening version of Third/Sister Lovers crossed with the most accessible Pavement tracks.

I think it depends on how you got to it.

I came to Wilco after hearing their early alt country influenced albums, and heard a lot of hype about YHF. It took a few listens over a year or so before it really clicked. Still not high on my Wilco list, but there are a number of tunes I love on it. Jesus, etc is a great song, but I prefer the following arrangement to that on the record

The Wall is where Pink Floyd lost pretty much everything that I like about Pink Floyd. Not atmospheric, no sonic texture, obnoxious storyline and theme, tons of filler, totally understuffed for an epic double-LP, etc.

That said, since I avoid commercial radio like the plague, every blue moon I'll hear 'Comfortably Numb' and I'll have enough distance from it to appreciate and think "this is a great fucking song".

That said, it's ok, and pretty tolerable. It's not at all a strong dislike, where I kinda honestly judge people who dig post-Wall Floyd.

I came to Wilco after hearing their early alt country influenced albums, and heard a lot of hype about YHF. It took a few listens over a year or so before it really clicked. Still not high on my Wilco list, but there are a number of tunes I love on it. Jesus, etc is a great song, but I prefer the following arrangement to that on the record

I was on board from at least Being There. I remember listening to AM when it came out and thinking it was kind of dull. I definitely dug the stuff with Bill Bragg and Summerteeth.

Still, YHF seemed pretty much like normal Wilco plus sound effects and fuzz guitar solos. I've never understood their rep as an "adventurous" band. They're like a next gen Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers with a couple krautrock albums and Sonic Youth tee shirts in their closet.

I was on board from at least Being There. I remember listening to AM when it came out and thinking it was kind of dull. I definitely dug the stuff with Bill Bragg and Summerteeth.

Still, YHF seemed pretty much like normal Wilco plus sound effects and fuzz guitar solos. I've never understood their rep as an "adventurous" band. They're like a next gen Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers with a couple krautrock albums and Sonic Youth tee shirts in their closet.

Yeah, Mermaid Avenue is a terrific album for summer road trips. No surprise there, given the driving force behind it. Sincere apologies for the pun.

It was the same for me. I had only really listened to AM and kind of forgot about them. Then I heard all the buzz about YHF and couldn't believe it was the say guy who was in Uncle Tupelo. Then the live album came out and I saw them live playing the songs. The songs are great on that album, I just don't dig the production on it. *ducks to avoid @Kerouac backhand*

:grin:

Back