Alabama White Sauce?

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I just got back from heading into Battle Creek. I noticed a brand-new bbq place there near the mall as I was driving by, so I stopped in for dinner.

I ordered a pulled pork sandwich, which was a generous portion of smoked pulled pork, no sauce, and a heap of real homemade fries. The kind that were cut by someone in the back after you place your order. BBQ sauce on the tables to put on the sandwich.

Anyways, I noticed with the bbq sauce squeeze bottles, a sauce they had labelled 'Alabama White Sauce'.

I've never heard of it. Is it a bbq sauce? Dipping sauce similar to ranch?

Its awesome.
Mayo
Vinegar
Lemon juice
Salt
Pepper

Its good on pork and chicken

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Oh and a little sugar. Forgot about that.

Um, we used to call something that, but it wouldn't recommend you eat it. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Last night at work I remembered one of my co-workers is from Alabama. 'Big Daddy' is what we used to call him, but he had bariatric surgery last year, and he ain't big now.

Anyways, I asked him if he had ever heard of Alabama White Sauce, and he said, 'No, what's that?'

So I told him it was a mayonnaise based bbq sauce, and he was like 'Oh yeah, we mixed mayonnaise and bbq sauce all the time. I didn't know there was a name for it.'

I guess they made the poor-mans version, just mixing the two together instead of from scratch. He also said mixing bbq sauce with Thousand Island dressing was even better.

I used to know a guy that claimed he would beat off into the soup at a diner he worked in.....I thought maybe that's where this was going.

(and yes, we reported him to the owner after he bragged about it at a party)

I went back today to try some.

Ordered 1/2 pound of pulled chicken, + spicy rice, and put the sauce over the chicken. Not bad...a bit on the sweet side with just a bit of tang to it. The only thing I can compare it to is that white sauce you pour over shawarma, except with a bit of barbequey tang to it.

I think it would go great on grilled salmon.

Yay! I'm glad you tried it. They must use more sugar than mine. Its rarely described as sweet. There's some sweetness but I like it with tha twang.

Never heard of the stuff.
Here's a tip though,if you are ever in NYC stay away from the Coney Island Whitefish.

Last edited:
Back