Pittsburgh -13
L.A. Dodgers -14
Houston -16
Baltimore -16
Chicago Cubs -25
Mets -26
Minnesota -29
Miami -30

it amazes me that in the 11 years since it happened, and in the 9 years since it was first published, not only don't people get what Moneyball was about, they don't understand (and some flat out refuse to understand) how it has completely changed the game of baseball at every level.

...sabr-nerd...

The Joy of Doom: http://www.amazinavenue.com/2012/3/6/2848624/the-joy-of-doom#storyjump

50541d1328963517-dad-gets-revenge-facebook-clap.gif

Good article. And it shows that the Mets on finally on the right track. But hiring Alderson showed that.

Selig made the Wilpons hire him. the question will be whether they retain him after his contract is up, or if Paul DePodesta takes his place, or if there's a complete regime change back to the types of morons who were the previous GMs (Frank Cashen excluded).

Phils salvaged a game from the Yanks yesterday (I know, it's just ST). Concerning is the fact that Utley hasn't played yet, tells me Charlie doesn't want to wear down what's already an issue. Between him, Polanco and Rollins' injury issues and Howard's question mark on his return... I has concerns. Pitching ain't everything, as witnessed by the offensive slump against the Cards last October.

Phils salvaged a game from the Yanks yesterday (I know, it's just ST). Concerning is the fact that Utley hasn't played yet, tells me Charlie doesn't want to wear down what's already an issue. Between him, Polanco and Rollins' injury issues and Howard's question mark on his return... I has concerns. Pitching ain't everything, as witnessed by the offensive slump against the Cards last October.

Yeah - but it won the Giants a world series. All the pitching has to do is keep the team near .500 until the hitting gets healthy.

I have a question for you guys that might know.
I looked at the Giants lineup v the dodgers today, and noticed they are listing a DH. WTF? I usually don't follow ST games, do they use a DH early in the spring to let the pitchers concentrate on pitching?

The lineup:

Cabrera CF
Burriss LF
Schierholtz RF
Pill 1B
H. Sanchez DH
Fontenot 2B
Gillaspie 3B
Crawford SS
Whiteside C

I have a question for you guys that might know.
I looked at the Giants lineup v the dodgers today, and noticed they are listing a DH. WTF? I usually don't follow ST games, do they use a DH early in the spring to let the pitchers concentrate on pitching?

in National League ST games, it's up to the managers to decide if they want to use a DH. they usually do, especially this early.

Thanks Howie, makes sense I guess.

pitchers are unlikely to bat right now anyway. they're 2 innings each this week. so get a regular hitter in there and give him the 2 at-bats, and let some prospect play the field. you're gonna end up switching everybody out 3-4 times over the course of the game anyway.

pitchers are unlikely to bat right now anyway. they're 2 innings each this week. so get a regular hitter in there and give him the 2 at-bats, and let some prospect play the field. you're gonna end up switching everybody out 3-4 times over the course of the game anyway.

...I said the same thing almost verbaitum on sunday when I met my mom for lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings...she asked me, "who are all these people playing? Ive never heard of them"...

Back