Aerospace peeps rollcall

shoeless

Riffin'
@BlockInlay asked a valid question in the Funny Pics thread (http://markweinguitarlessons.com/fo...-pic-thread-mk-xii.74934/page-36#post-1272878).

Seems like there are a lot of us that have worked in the Aerospace industry over the years. If you're one of them, say something about where you've worked and what projects you've worked on. I'll start.

1984 - 1988, Lockheed, Polaris and Trident missile programs
1988 - 1991, Lockheed, Milstar satellite
1991 - 1995, Lockheed, NASA contract at JSC, Shuttle comm systems test lab & later shuttle simulator (robot arm)
1995 - present, Hughes, commercial satellite systems.

I never worked in the aerospace industry, but I had a tiny part of a scientific experiment fly on the space shuttle.

Reactions: OGG
My old man was a medic in the Air Force back in the 70's and my wife's uncle is a retired NASA engineer who worked on the shuttle program pretty much from start to finish. That's all I got.

Oh, and two of my relatives worked for a company that made lenses and other camera components for various satellites and the two Mariner probes.

Last edited:
My old man was a medic in the Air Force back in the 70's and my wife's uncle is a retired NASA engineer who worked on the shuttle program pretty much from start to finish. That's all I got.
It's pretty sad how the US let the shuttle program die without any replacement. I'm still bitter about that.

It's pretty sad how the US let the shuttle program die without any replacement. I'm still bitter about that.

Weird right? I'm still not clear what happened with Orion. Did they ditch the whole program and keep some components for later use?

I've discussed the Shuttle quite a bit with my wife's uncle over the years. He had a real love hate relationship with the Shuttle, which I think is fairly common? One time I referred to the Shuttle as the "Flying Compromise" and he cracked up and shook his head.

i think we had this discussion a month or so ago. @Steverino in in NASA and i think was saying that there ARE still space programs going and that some of the shuttle duties have been sourced to private companies. you'd have to ask him about it.

as far as me, i've never worked in the aerospace industry, just the USAF industry :grin:

Weird right? I'm still not clear what happened with Orion. Did they ditch the whole program and keep some components for later use?

I've discussed the Shuttle quite a bit with my wife's uncle over the years. He had a real love hate relationship with the Shuttle, which I think is fairly common? One time I referred to the Shuttle as the "Flying Compromise" and he cracked up and shook his head.
I think that NASA is still working on Orion. I think they plan an unmanned test launch in 2019. It's supposed to be the first step towards the Mars mission planned for some time in the 2030's.

I didn't work in the Aerospace industry, but my Grandfather worked at Douglas and helped develop the A-4 and DC-10. My dad worked for the D.O.D at the USAF fixing various avionics components, and I had a brief stint at Hughes Network systems working on the Seatback and Armrest telephones and the satellite receivers used on DirectTV.

Other than that, I did two years of Aeronautical Science while getting my Criminal Justice Degree.

I don't use either.

They don't help me play a proper F chord.

Lockheed Missiles and Space Co, 1984-1994
Large Vehicle Environmental Test. That is Thermal Vacuum orbital simulation and acoustic launch and trans orbital testing of components and full spacecraft
Hubble Space Telescope, Trident IID5X1 separation effects testing, Numerous 'black' projects, Infra red satellite positioning sensors
Assembly, test and integration of the AFP-675 experiment platform in to Shuttle Discovery and Launch support of STS-39

imgres-1.jpg

Had a speaking roll on NASA comm at T-2:34. For a kid growing up watching Apollo launches on tv, that was a career high.

Jump 20 years

Skybox Imaging / Google
Space camera Systems Technician calibrating and characterizing camera systems and payload integration on small LEO earth imaging satellites

imgres-2.jpg

Now doing business as TerraBella Tech

Lockheed Missiles and Space Co, 1984-1994
Large Vehicle Environmental Test. That is Thermal Vacuum orbital simulation and acoustic launch and trans orbital testing of components and full spacecraft
Hubble Space Telescope, Trident IID5X1 separation effects testing, Numerous 'black' projects, Infra red satellite positioning sensors
Assembly, test and integration of the AFP-675 experiment platform in to Shuttle Discovery and Launch support of STS-39
You and I were at the same company during the same time, and even worked on some of the same projects. I worked in the telemetry systems group on D5 in Bldg 157. I think we've had that conversation before, haven't we?

You and I were at the same company during the same time, and even worked on some of the same projects. I worked in the telemetry systems group on D5 in Bldg 157. I think we've had that conversation before, haven't we?
Yes we have. I was in B156, B104, B151 (watching the U2 take off Wednesday mornings at 1000), and a stint up at the Santa Cruz MSD base for the T2D5X1 stuff.

Hardy recognize the Sunnyvale campus any more. It's been over run by Google and a couple of other companies. Onizuka AFB (the infamous Blue Cube) is long gone, as is B104 and some others.:(

Hardy recognize the Sunnyvale campus any more. It's been over run by Google and a couple of other companies. Onizuka AFB (the infamous Blue Cube) is long gone, as is B104 and some others.:(
Well, that is some prime real estate and defense spending ain't what it used to be.

Lockheed Martin/NASA; SSC (Stennis) SSME (space shuttle main engine) 1996-1999
Various contractors/NASA; SSC LSC (lab services contract) 2000- present) this contract serves Nasa as we are a primary under them, we also cal stuff for the Navy, NAVO, USAF, and a slew of utility companies like Texas Utilities, Arizona Nuclear, etc etc

It's ongoing. I was just there last week.

Media Invited to See NASA’s Orion Crew Module for its Journey to Mars

m16-005.jpeg

Jan. 20, 2016

MEDIA ADVISORY M16-005

NASA’s Orion crew module will be available to media at two NASA locations Jan. 26th and in early February, as engineers continue to prepare the spacecraft to send astronauts deeper into space than ever before, including to an asteroid placed in lunar orbit and on the journey to Mars.

At 10:30 a.m. EST on Tuesday, Jan. 26, the agency’s Michoud Assembly Facility in New Orleans will host a media viewing and facility tour of the spacecraft’s recently completed pressure vessel, the underlying structure of the crew module, before it ships to NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

The Orion pressure vessel provides a sealed environment for astronaut life support in future human-rated crew modules. Technicians at Michoud began welding together the seven large aluminum pieces of Orion’s primary structure in precise detail last September. At Kennedy, Orion will be outfitted with the spacecraft’s systems and subsystems, processed and integrated with NASA’s Space Launch System (SLS) ahead of their first joint exploration mission, or EM-1.

Michoud also is where the massive core stage of SLS is being manufactured. Reporters will be able to view tooling and newly manufactured hardware for SLS, and hear about mission progress from personnel across NASA.

http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/m...a-s-orion-crew-module-for-its-journey-to-mars

Last edited:
Back