Acoustic Guitar Project for the Gary Sinise Foundation

Telenator

Les Paulverizer
Here's a little project I've been working on with a few friends who I build acoustic guitars with on weekends. I have the privilege of working with some very talented builders who are all lending a hand in producing my design of an acoustic guitar for people who play seated in a wheel chair.

The extra cutaway allows the guitar to sit on the seated players leg in a proper ergonomic position that is comfortable for playing. The carbon fiber leaf spring supports the guitar by resting on the players other leg thereby balancing the guitar and allowing for much easier playing access.

When you take your hands off the guitar, it sits there on your lap in the proper playing position. I think people who sit at their computers to record are really going to dig this too! No more "neck-dive!"

This instrument is being donated to the Gary Sinise Foundation in hopes that it will help someone discover music, or just make it make comfortable to continue playing.

001Sides_zps92292a5d.jpg

002Sides_zps54c53ec2.jpg

006BackBracesShaved_zpsf392fd5a.jpg

009TopGluedtosides_zpsb0a06b7b.jpg

010TailBlockSigned_zps82de0ecf.jpg

012LeafSpring_zps61ab183d.jpg

013LeafSpringmock-up_zps68a3f6cd.jpg

014%20Binding%20around%20the%20back_zpsquyz2yzc.jpg

015%20Binding%20around%20the%20top_zpspbqhxjp2.jpg

I must confess, if I just saw that guitar without the explanation, I'd be all messedup0, but with the knowledge of the purposeful design, I'm all :thu:.

@Telenator, so....does the carbon fiber "leafspring" sit on the inside of the other thigh, putting tension on the guitar to prop it up?

Just curious where it sits to prop up the guitar.

Very cool design, btw....and a fantastic thing to do!

Here's a video I did for a Kickstarter project I have yet to launch.
The acoustic guitar section starts at the 5 minute mark and shows how the leaf spring works. Enjoy!

Please note that the guitar in the video is a cheap import that I modified to prove the concept before building the one pictured above.

Last edited:
Here's a video I did for a Kickstarter project I have yet to launch.
The acoustic guitar section starts at the 5 minute mark and shows how the leaf spring works. Enjoy!

Please note that the guitar in the video is a cheap import that I modified to prove the concept before building the one pictured above.

Ahhhh, I see now.

That is fucking awesome, man!

GREAT job!

Have you noticed any major tonal changes with that style of cutout in the body?

The unique shape poses some challenges in getting a bracing design to work that is structurally sound as well as something that will produce good tone.

Right now, it's punchy and bright. Not offensively bright, but having a bit more low end would be nice.

It's a work in progress.

Project Update:

Between gigs, projects and work, I haven't been around much. Here's the latest update on this project.

I decided to make a maple fingerboard for this one because, well, because I've never seen a maple fingerboard on an acoustic that I can remember.
I used black pearl dots on this one.
002a%20dot%20markers_zps7oagfqrg.jpg

Here's the neck roughed out and I just routed the truss rod channel.
007MahoganyNeck_zps7e44dfdf.jpg

Then I made a piece of veneer for the peghead to match the fingerboard.
019%20peghead%20veneer_zpsynsrh0wx.jpg

Here's the guitar with the neck resting in place. I'm diggin' the maple on spruce look!
018%20neck%20fingerboard%20body_zpsusysp19w.jpg

I didn't like the points on the lower bout cut-a-way so I sanded them down and made caps for the them. I think this will look good once they're blended in.
020%20facets_zpsmtjqnpey.jpg

021%20facet_zpsaysytpge.jpg

022%20facets_zpsmltuqjxm.jpg

That's it for now. More updates coming!

Back