Acoustic Guitar Maintenance - Who does it?

Modern Saint

Starve your Fear, Feed your Dream!
I changed my strings on my Ovation Celebrity KOA with D'Addario's...

http://markweinguitarlessons.com/fo...ings-exp16-012-053-review.65234/#post-1073668

and that started a trend. I have the time so why not do maintenance on all of my Ovation acoustics. After all it was time. So all of 3 of my Ovations got new strings (Elixir's on the Collector and 12 and Adamas on the Mandolin), new batteries, and a cleaning. I put the install date on my batteries and was in a real shock finding that my 86 Collector's battery was dated 10/29/2010 - major facepalm to me. Anyway I added all of the pertinent data to my maintenance log that I recently started for future reference trending.

Ovation Family - S.JPG

Well, I date the strings package from my last changing, and when I change strings I clean it up, oil the board, etc. None of my acoustics have active electronics, so no batteries to deal with.

I'm not nearly as organized about dating batteries & writing down the date of string changes. Although I generally do the routine maintenance myself, I generally handle it on an as needed basis. Of course, I am not gigging on a pro or semi-pro level.

I'm not at all organized about it. I change strings when I feel I must and replace batteries when they go. (I carry a spare with me, however.) I should be more organized, but, oh well...

I use a text file to track what strings I put on which instrument, and when. Usually I do them all at once. Notes about how the strings sounded or how long they last go there too. As well as a record of any work I've had done to them recently, and what work might need to be done soon.

I change strings when they go dead. That's when I do a general cleaning of the instrument. I keep a few packs of strings on hand always. When I get down to the last pack I order some more from juststrings. I always keep a spare battery in the case and change it when it dies.

Back