Acoustic bass guitar

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
At the radio concert last night all guitars were amplified with mic rather than plugging in. Several of the acts included acoustic bass guitars. First, I was surprised that the three I saw used were all Martins; I don't usually think of Martin for acoustic bass. The next thing I noticed was that two of them sounded decent with the mic, but the third had no resonance or volume unplugged. The third thing I noticed was how much just adding a bass player can add to the sound. Maybe I should find a bass player.

At the radio concert last night all guitars were amplified with mic rather than plugging in. Several of the acts included acoustic bass guitars. First, I was surprised that the three I saw used were all Martins; I don't usually think of Martin for acoustic bass. The next thing I noticed was that two of them sounded decent with the mic, but the third had no resonance or volume unplugged. The third thing I noticed was how much just adding a bass player can add to the sound. Maybe I should find a bass player.

What I find surprising about the Martin acoustic basses is that they use the OM body and not a dreadnaught or a jumbo body. Most companies that have built (non-upright) acoustic basses go with a larger body to move more air.

As to the deadened tone/sound of one of the them, it might depend upon the strings they were using. They also could be old strings. Or, that player could have just gotten a dud of an instrument. Maybe it was filled with foam. Folks will do that eliminate feedback, but it also kills the acoustic properties of the instrument.

I strongly dislike most acoustic basses. I think those bass ukes are actually better sounding and more portable. Otherwise just find an upright.

Back