Achtung! Certified car mechanic guys...

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
@jelloman and at least one other…

The other day the infotainment system in my car kept going blank. This was with a cd in it and playing. As soon as I took the cd out (worried about not being able to get it out if the unit died completely) the unit stayed on, with the radio playing. Car is a 2014 Chevy Cruze LTZ (the bigger screen/backup camera/more speakers unit).

I tried it with a cd I didn't care much about if the unit died and I couldn't eject the cd, and the unit went blank very briefly twice while that cd was playing. Still hasn't done it with just the radio playing.

So is maybe the cd player in the unit going bad? What do repair shops check on stuff like that? I'm betting if I took my car into the shop, they probably wouldn't be able to replicate the problem…it only started doing it both times after the cd in question had been playing 30-40 minutes.

Also I found this on youtube:

Worth trying?

What other stuff could I check myself, keeping in mind I don't have alot of tools...

Yanking the fuse might help if only temporarily.

The likely fix is for the dealer to flash new firmware into the system.
Some systems can be updated via CD/DVD or USB, but that's rare these days.

Pulling the fuse reboots the system, which would serve to reset whatever issue the firmware is having...its ok for a temporary fix, but the problem appears to come back eventually...

A firmware update may be available, I'd check with the dealer...a quick Google search showed that this is a very common issue, and most people temp fix it in a manner similar to the video...

It does not seem to be an issue that is solved for long by replacing the unit, seems to be a global issue with the mylink software...

Are you still under warranty? Should be covered under 3/36...if an actual fix exists...

Yanking the fuse might help if only temporarily.

The likely fix is for the dealer to flash new firmware into the system.
Some systems can be updated via CD/DVD or USB, but that's rare these days.
Most firmware updates are done by linking the vehicle to the manufacturer via a laptop or tablet...when we need to do any kind of updates on Mitsubishis it's necessary to download the update file for each vehicle coded to the VIN...

Ok, thanks!

I have an oil change coming up and I do it at the dealer. I'll just ask them about an update when I take the car in for the oil change.

My car has 43K on it, so I gather that it's probably outside the warranty. Does a firmware update cost much?

Ok, thanks!

I have an oil change coming up and I do it at the dealer. I'll just ask them about an update when I take the car in for the oil change.

My car has 43K on it, so I gather that it's probably outside the warranty. Does a firmware update cost much?
Most shops have a minimum 1 hour charge for scan tool hookups, so be prepared for that...if they do not immediately specify the availability of an update, or at least familiarity with the issue, don't waste the money...

Most firmware updates are done by linking the vehicle to the manufacturer via a laptop or tablet...when we need to do any kind of updates on Mitsubishis it's necessary to download the update file for each vehicle coded to the VIN...
That's what I figured was the case now. Back in the early days of these systems, you could get an update via DVD.

That's what I figured was the case now. Back in the early days of these systems, you could get an update via DVD.
Mitsubishi just stopped the DVD updates for on board GPS 1n 2012...now you do them with your phone via blue tooth...

What I find interesting with my make is they really guard their tech...we have about 3 firmware update recalls for various shift and fuel map issues in the 2015 and 2016 Outlanders...each time they hook up a vehicle they have to request the update file and when it's finished installing it MUST be deleted from the tablet before the firmware gets it's final coding and release...programming keys is done in real time via link with Japan...

It's a Chevy. You're supposed to learn to live with its quirks.

(Says the owner of two Chrysler Jeeps).

Seriously, though, all the GMs that I've owned in the last 15 years (3 in total) have been electrical gremlin nightmares.

Most shops have a minimum 1 hour charge for scan tool hookups, so be prepared for that...if they do not immediately specify the availability of an update, or at least familiarity with the issue, don't waste the money...
What can I do to protect myself if the update doesn't fix the problem? I don't want to pay a bunch of money, only to not have it fixed.

I was told by the service center that it would likely take 2 1/2 hours+ on the firmware update. The guy said they use a USB stick, and it's supposed to take 30 minutes, but slows down depending on how many vehicles are getting the update at the same time. In his experience, he said it usually takes at least 2 1/2 hours.

I didn't ask how much, but if I do it and the problem persists...

What can I do to protect myself if the update doesn't fix the problem? I don't want to pay a bunch of money, only to not have it fixed.

I was told by the service center that it would likely take 2 1/2 hours+ on the firmware update. The guy said they use a USB stick, and it's supposed to take 30 minutes, but slows down depending on how many vehicles are getting the update at the same time. In his experience, he said it usually takes at least 2 1/2 hours.

I didn't ask how much, but if I do it and the problem persists...
That's always a sticky issue, because you won't know right away, but if it's a reputable shop they should and will stand by their work and redo the update for free...

I got this fixed the other day :)

Turns out it was the negative battery cable and battery ground cable, both needed to be replaced.

From what I've read on the Cruze forums Chevy was installing cables that had a kink in them, and the cars electrical systems weren't getting enough juice, causing the car to randomly shut down stuff. Usually the infotainment system, but could shut down the traction control, power steering, etc.

My car finally started to go haywire about 2 weeks ago, so I looked up what was happening online and found out what the problem was and the fix. Chevy had a special warranty # just for this problem, 10 year/120,000 miles, so when I took it to the dealership it got fixed for free :)

So far, so good :embarrassed:

Back