AC/DC to release new album Rock Or Bust as guitarist Malcolm Young retires from band

Malcolm was probably the most important member in that band for me.
Angus always did the flash, but the songs and drive of the band was always Malcolm, from what I can tell.

Recently did some listening to some of their early albums btw. Some really kick arse rock n roll in there.
And bloody hell, what pipes Bon had. :embarrassed:

This, 1000 times this. Angus is/was a great player, but Malcom is one of the best rock-n-roll rhythm guitarists ever.

And as much as I like Brian J era AC/DC, the stuff with Bon is better: I could listen to nothing but the High Voltage through Highway to Hell AC/DC albums for the next year and be happy.

Sorry to hear of his health problems.

I must wonder about that disease..

Malcolm was playing out just a few years ago...Did everyone in his circle know and he was just keeping it together??

The reason I wonder is because aprox 20 years ago I watched my ex wifes grandma in the later stages when she was in her 80's. She had to be tended to as if she was a new born..

Jump forward 10 years and my own grandma who passed aprox 7 years ago at the age of 84,had it diagnosed at 74 and meds really slowed it down...I could carry on a conversation with her up until aprox 1 year before she passed....And for a period in my grandma's life she was a boozer herself and smoked cigs and cigars from the age of 9-82..(My Mom made her quit smoking which I didn't think was right,but anyway)..

I really thought they were making breakthroughs with the drugs????

I may be wrong, but I think the nephew has been subbing for Malcolm for at least a couple of years when they tour. Malcolm's health has been failing for quite a while.

I must wonder about that disease..

Malcolm was playing out just a few years ago...Did everyone in his circle know and he was just keeping it together??

Probably. It’s possible that his health problems are alcohol related and worsened progressively over the years. The stroke and ensuing full-time care probably forced the band to go public about. It’s hard to keep a famous guy in a nursing home a secret for long.

The nephew did sub when Malcolm was unable to tour due to his alcohol issues. He's only a year or so younger than Malcolm.

In this month's Guitar World, Angus said there were some little signs on past tours that could have warned him of his brother's conditions, but, like so many other people do, just wrote it off as his brother not feeling well

The nephew did sub when Malcolm was unable to tour due to his alcohol issues. He's only a year or so younger than Malcolm.

In this month's Guitar World, Angus said there were some little signs on past tours that could have warned him of his brother's conditions, but, like so many other people do, just wrote it off as his brother not feeling well

Dementia is sneaky. Even close loved ones can write off memory lapses to any of 100 causes and not see what's up until the victim is forgetting names of those close to them. It's sad.

Apparently Malcolm tried to keep playing and practicing but he started forgetting songs he has played for decades and had to keep relearning them. Apparently his dementia is quite advanced now and he cant play anymore

Back