About to be schooled in the world of hybrids

Steverino

black sheep
My youngest drives a 2009 Camry hybrid. I'm a car guy and know my way around 'em fairly well, but I've never had to lay a wrench on a hybrid.

She called with troubles Sunday, but got it going after leaving it to sit overnight. There's a battery indicator lit up on the dash. Someone in her church lent her his while he takes a look at the Camry. She says he's an EE so I don't mind him taking a shot at it first.

So yeah, you're going to need an electronics background if you want to service one of these.

I've done some reading on them and the hybrid "traction" battery is behind the rear seat, in the trunk. It consists of some ~32- 7V individual battery cells in series, totaling 233VDC. Toyota recommends replacing the entire thing, roughly $3K to replace. If he can't make any progress, I've got a couple ideas to try, if it is that hybrid battery. Any "normal" car issue I'm comfortable with.

Anyone have any experience with these hybrids? Any advice or experience is appreciated!

Six years......yeah....probably time to replace the batteries.

Not cheap, but I would assume in the long run no more than you would end up sinking into a traditional car.

I wouldn't have a clue what to do with a hybrid. I could only identify a handful of under hood parts in a friends Lexus C200 hybrid...and they were all parts of the gas engine bit. Good luck with the camry.

Back