A 'Tone is in the Fingers' Spin-Off Discussion: Callous Quality

none. I play mostly electric though. I really don't think of my fingers as calloused although if I have a few really brutal days of playing I'll sometimes get this sensation that it is itching UNDER the callous.

My fret hand has great callouses - my right hand doesn't. I mostly use my fingers and the backs of my finger nails for strumming and picking - I don't use a pick to often.

If I go into one of my acoustic phases I might get some, but I'm generally more of an electric player so I usually don't have any.

None. I had hard callous in the 60s and early 70s, but it became much softer later. Perhaps due to playing 9-38s for so long?

the_more_you_play_with_it_the_harder_it_gets.jpg

for me, it's more about stamina. heavier callouses mean i can play longer without my fingers getting raw.

This....

We play four sets and I'm on acoustic probably 2/3 of the night. If I don't have good callouses then by the fourth set my fingers are in pain....

My fret hand has great callouses - my right hand doesn't. I mostly use my fingers and the backs of my finger nails for strumming and picking - I don't use a pick to often.

I've been experimenting with this lately, cause I can never get comfortable with picks. But how do you avoid that awful scraping sound when using the back of your nails to strum? I can't seem to find a way to NOT get that.

I've been experimenting with this lately, cause I can never get comfortable with picks. But how do you avoid that awful scraping sound when using the back of your nails to strum? I can't seem to find a way to NOT get that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back