A tale of two Princetons

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432865750.388749.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432865762.490331.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432865772.225027.jpg

'68 Princeton sounded pretty good considering that I was using a crappy strat at GC. The Blackface '65 sounded like a bucket of dicks. For $100 more. I should have shot video now that I think about it.

I have one of the '65s, and I absolutely love it. I have changed the speaker, and I love it even more, but I still loved it before.

IDK. Could've been a bad one, could be a question of taste.

That said... I got mine brand new and retail, and it was a couple hundred less than that, and in Canadian dollars.

Last edited:
I have one of the '65s, and I absolutely love it. I have changed the speaker, and I love it even more, but I still loved it before.

IDK. Couldn't been a bad one, couldn't been a question of taste.

That said... I got mine brand new and retail, and it was a couple hundred less than that, and in Canadian dollars.
I've never played a reissue Princeton before today. El Borrachito has an early 70's one that I used for some stuff on my album and I dig the sounds that Jim Campliongo gets in the demo videos. At some point I'd love to have the '68 version.

To be honest though I really dislike the 1965 Deluxe Reverb Reissue too though...maybe I don't care for the blackface RI amps but I've played through some original BF amps that I've loved.

Originals always sound better - all part of the mojo. the other thing that I don't care for on the new ones are the use of PC boards. The should be point to point but then some may say that I am a cork sniffer.

What's funny is that people seem to either like the '65 Blackface reissues, or the '68 Custom reissues (this goes for the Princetons, too), but not both. Except for me. I have them both.

I was considering one of those ('68 version) last year but got an AC15 instead. Fits my sound better. And was cheaper.

Back