A record-breaking build?

dodgechargerfan

CanadianGary
Administrator
Literally. It was a record breaking build.

I got the visual idea for these just over a year ago. So, over a year from inception to completion - another record?

Vinyl Flux is a local band in which two members were old friends. You've seen me post about these guys a lot.
Since debuting just over 2 years ago, they've all become friends of ours.

Why so long to build these? I didn't really know what to build for the guys. I just had the visual idea.
After many chats and surreptitious interviewing, I figured out what I needed to build.

Once I began producing these, I ran into many problems with cutting the vinyl, getting fonts, printing the logo, and generally messing things up and starting over.
The circuits were the easiest part - even the dual tagboard build that gave me so much trouble was easier than the graphics/decoration.

The bass player wanted a "phaser type thing". I already had a Dr. Phibes circuit built. So, that was set aside for this build.

The Phluxer. It's a Phaser and the bass player's name is Phil...

The "Phil" switch does absolutely nothing. I accidentally drilled an extra hole. So, I put a switch in it and wrote n the instructions that it's there just to make him smile.
There are many pictures of him with a complete dead pan face. So, it's kind of a running gag to get him to smile while he's playing.

One of the guitarists started chatting about a dual pedal for which he had read about and had seen online review videos.
So, I hunted down some ideas and decided to follow a build that someone over on the BYOC forums did last year. It's a tagboard build and includes two drive circuits that were recently combined for a specific UK player.

The Fluxion

This is an in-progress gut shot. The end result is a mess since I had to rewire everything and ended up flipping the "E-Drive" board upside down too. But I just forgot to take a final shot before closing it up.

The other guitarist was a tough one, but I ended up putting together the SuperDrive 70s for him.

The SuperFlux

I didn't want to leave the drummer out so I bought a fan, took it all apart and painted it with Krylon Fusion paint.

The singer got a candy jar with the band logo on it and loaed with eucalyptus candies that we've been supplying to him for a few months. I don't have a picture of that, though.

It was a fun build, frustrating at times, but that's part of the process for me. I learned a lot.

Like:
1. If you're going to put envirotex over a paper label, clear coat the piece first to seal the label and the edges. When I poured the envirotex, it seeped under the label and the label even absorbed some. So it looked like wet paper.
2. Also, envirotex fills in all of the grooves on a vinyl record so that it doesn't look like a vinyl record anymore. They got tossed and I started over.
3. You (or maybe it's just me) can build one pedal and not mess up the pot pin order, build a second pedal and mess it up, then build a third and not mess it up.
4. It's pretty impossible to print orange on a printer. I ended up getting a stamp making kit and carving the logo myself. Then I used paint and stamped it wherever I needed it. The rustic look is intentional (whether I meant to do it that way or not).
5. I'm sure there's lots more that I am forgetting now.

Nice work DCF!

Funny how pedal builds are, the electronics is the easy part. The graphics is what takes the longest.

Please don't do that to any of your records. :embarrassed:

:grin:

I went out to a flea market and bought crappy records just for this build.

But yeah, If anyone has records in good shape, don't do this. Hell, I even refused to cut up the K-Tel "Feelings" album because it was in prefect shape.

Sooo, what got sacrificed?
Cheap Trick - Dream Police
Trooper - Hot Shots
Steve Miller Band - Book of Dreams
Boston - Boston
Barry Manilow - Even Now

Actually, the Barry Manilow came out of my wife's collection. So, did the "Feeling" album, but that went back in to the stacks.

Back