A question for you teachers out there...

NorthernPaul

Multimeh
Good evening:)

Would you be offended if a student asked you to teach him songs that he liked instead of stuff that you pick?

I only ask this as I feel it would be the icing on the cake for my lessons. I know the songs my teacher picks are chosen to challenge my ability and help me progress, and thats great, they are helping me immensely. However, I would get a much bigger kick out of it if it was a song I loved and would actually want to play in my spare time.

The songs he picks are all well known songs, which I've heard lots before, and I do like them. They just don't give me a buzz if you know what I mean!!

So, should I carry on as is and make good progress with my playing, or ask him to find music by bands that I personally like that he feels would be the right level for me to play?

Thanks for reading, I'll check back soon to see any opinions!!

Paul

There should be a compromise. I usually as my students to make a list of music they want to learn and I try to incorporate those songs as they can exercise what we are working on in the lessons. I also give the students a break after a particularly strenuous period of study and let them just play songs for enjoyment and decompression...turns out they end up being productive during those periods as well. :)

Ah thats cool, don't get me wrong, the songs he picks are all classic tunes, but generally not the sort of thing I would listen to in my spare time. My lessons are the highlight of my week, even the music reading is something I enjoy learning.

I find myself ignoring the songs he gives me and trying to play my own stuff instead.

I think I need to find a balance between learning his stuff, and trying to earn my own stuff, which actually sounds pretty obvious when you think about it.:grin:

Back