A question for people who know Denver, CO

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
I am attending a conference there next month; it will be at the Denver Marriott Tech Center on Syracuse Street. Is this actually in Denver proper? Will there be anything worth seeing nearby? Anyone want to meet up while I am there? I remember someone talked about meeting up but I don't remember who. (Getting old sucks sometimes.) I will be arriving September 22 and leaving September 25th.

upload_2017-8-18_13-0-36.png

Looks better than usual. Our Seattle conference was actually at SeaTac, and the Washington DC conference was in Bethesda. Another conference was in Overland Park, Kansas with no public transportation and nothing near the hotel/conference center.

Yeah, I read your post about Seattle and immediately thought SeaTac.

Anything in Kansas should be an immediate deal breaker.

Yeah, I read your post about Seattle and immediately thought SeaTac.

Anything in Kansas should be an immediate deal breaker.
I had to eat all my meals at the Kansas conference in the hotel. The hostess, after a couple of days, said, "You must love our food." I replied, "It is good, but I wish you had more vegetarian options." She gave me a look, and said, "Well, you are in cattle country."

The best conference was in Indianapolis, of all places. It was right downtown and I found a great blues club nearby.

I had to eat all my meals at the Kansas conference in the hotel. The hostess, after a couple of days, said, "You must love our food." I replied, "It is good, but I wish you had more vegetarian options." She gave me a look, and said, "Well, you are in cattle country."

0beb3edf06bcd87f1c9772a80f097b9de948b3d312ae6a698ad180ebebb58faf.jpg

I live in Denver.

The Denver Tech Center is pretty much a dead zone...there's a concert venue called Fiddler's Green, you can see Korn on the 22nd http://fiddlersgreen.amphitheater-c...MIsvXSztbh1QIVSpF-Ch3B7QZTEAAYASAAEgKnWfD_BwE

Oh yeah- the other cultural attraction, a little south of there, is Ikea (next to Costco). A friend of mine was the City Manager of Centennial, she takes credit for getting Ikea to build that store.

My advice- rent a car, spend your evenings in downtown Denver and/or Boulder

I live in Denver.

The Denver Tech Center is pretty much a dead zone...there's a concert venue called Fiddler's Green, you can see Korn on the 22nd http://fiddlersgreen.amphitheater-c...MIsvXSztbh1QIVSpF-Ch3B7QZTEAAYASAAEgKnWfD_BwE

Oh yeah- the other cultural attraction, a little south of there, is Ikea (next to Costco). A friend of mine was the City Manager of Centennial, she takes credit for getting Ikea to build that store.

My advice- rent a car, spend your evenings in downtown Denver and/or Boulder
For the most part I have to attend workshops plus a board meeting on Sunday. I hope to squeeze out a few hours Friday or Saturday night to see something. :grin:

OMG -- there really IS a Casa Bonita?!?!?

tumblr_lo9hprwsV81qmn7mjo1_500.gif
It was a 3 or 4 shop chain
The corp closed down and the employees bought the one on Colfax.
Microwave Mexican food and a cliff diver.
2017-08-18-16-31-41-.jpg

Last edited:
Not in Denver proper, but firmly in the 'burbs. Your hotel is a very short walk from the light rail that can zip you to downtown Denver quite quickly and there is a lot to do and see there. Your staying only a short distance from my office so depending on what time you are available we could possible meet up. Saturday night my band is supposed to have our third farewell gig. Probably for real this time. So I'm not available that night at all unfortunately - unless the gig does not happen. Which is possible.

I was in Denver a month ago.

Didn't have a lot of time to poke around, but couldn't get past the feeling that most people were seriously baked.

On one bus we were on, a deranged homeless lady took an obvious dislike to my face. She was cussin' at me the whole time.

It seemed more spread out and suburbia than the last time I was there, which was in the 80s.

Back